Bathroom gu10's ip65

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I correct thinking ip65 rated and gu10 led 4w bulbs fittings in a bathroom ceiling that is 2450 high is good and safe practice?
Is a fire rated housing the same as ip65?

Sponsored Links
Am I correct thinking ip65 rated and gu10 led 4w bulbs fittings in a bathroom ceiling that is 2450 high is good and safe practice?

Ip65 is rated for zone 1 and more, as long as the bulb doesn't affect the fitting.

The lights will say if they are fire rated or not, but Id be very surprised if a ip rated light isn't fire rated due to the design of the fitting.

Sounds safe enough to me.
No!
IP ratings are for protection against solid foreign
objects and access to hazardous parts and protection against entrance of water.

I know the fire rating is to protect from external exposure of the electrics and heat rated (gu11)so as long as the housings are ip rated I should be ok to use in a higher than zone 2 fitting situation?
Zone 2 is up to 2.25m my ceiling height is 2.45m so 17th regs have no problem with mains voltage electrics in that position as long as 30ma rcd is on the circuit! am I right there?

Sponsored Links
I know the fire rating is to protect from external exposure of the electrics and heat rated (gu11)so as long as the housings are ip rated I should be ok to use in a higher than zone 2 fitting situation?
Zone 2 is up to 2.25m my ceiling height is 2.45m so 17th regs have no problem with mains voltage electrics in that position as long as 30ma rcd is on the circuit! am I right there?

Incorrect, the fire rating is only there to continue the fire rating of the surface after you drill big hole in it!

As I said before, the fitting should say if it's fire rated or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back