IP65 GU10 downlighting above a shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I correct in understanding that you can install a IP65 rated GU10 ceiling spot light above a shower?

Sponsored Links
Ceiling is 2.4m and yes 240v fitting. I’d probably say no, water cannot spray onto the fitting though it will have one of those overhead shower heads as well as a hand shower on a wall rail.

Thx.

Then, the light will be outside of any bathroom zone. Many IP65 luminaries have a reduced light angle because the lamp is set far back in the can.

You can put whatever you like there. Make sure it’s sealed so condensation doesn’t go into the ceiling/loft space. An IP44 downlight will be ok.

Sponsored Links
It’s a regular thermostatic shower linked to a gas boiler.

What is IPX4 compared to an IP65?

So I was thinking of putting the spotlight immediately above the overhead shower.

It’s a regular thermostatic shower linked to a gas boiler.
Ok, but if it were an electric one it would be right in font of you in the shower area with you and you are worried about a light in the ceiling above.

What is IPX4 compared to an IP65?
Less.

So I was thinking of putting the spotlight immediately above the overhead shower.
I know. Don't play with it while showering.

Any suggestions for those tiny purple niche lights that go into the top of an alcove in the shower area?

Also forgot to ask, are those Ip65 Gu10 holders with glass generally so small in the surface area of the light. I checked the ones I have in my kitchen and the light can only get out of a 40mm glass hole so little light can escape compared with the non IP65 ones.

Attachments

• 9E2EB266-2E52-4CC5-9BCC-AA025D0575FA.jpeg
    9E2EB266-2E52-4CC5-9BCC-AA025D0575FA.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
But would t it be better to go for the ip75 if they’re available.
Actually I’ve got a pack of four left over from the kitchen which is the one from the The photo.

But would t it be better to go for the ip75 if they’re available.
Actually I’ve got a pack of four left over from the kitchen which is the one from the The photo.
You can if you like. But aren’t they 12v halogen lamps? Halogen lamps are obsolete.
Also, the light spread on those is very restricted.

I am probably also getting confused by the fact that I thought these lights might need a can - which I know is for fire protection. As these are going on a first floor bathroom, do they not then need to be fire rated too if I go for some IP44 ones rather than the IP65 ones I bought above? I'm asking just in case I dont use the ones I have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back