Soffit Downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Customer requires 3 downlights in PVC soffit above garage door.

I was considering using IP65 GU10 shower lights with 20W lamps, instructions state not to be installed in "highly flamable" surface.

Question is, is PVC highly flamable, or even flamable ? (I know it could melt, but at what temp ? There is plenty of room for heat dissipation around the intended positions.

Sponsored Links
I believe LED lights that fit GU10's are "cool running", not sure if the lumens would be good enough.

You could try GU10 external spots and mount them 6" below the soffit.

The soffit might not melt with a standard GU10 lamp, but at least, it will discolour and will cause potential issues due to heat and I'd avoid doing it.

Try GU10 CFLs. They dont get a quarter as hot as standard halogens and will last longer too. TLC sell them.

Sponsored Links
Not if you want to use cfls as they will protrude about an inch.

sorry i meant to say fittings/unit not just the lamps.

Would CFL's give off a good wash - low energy is what i'm after really.
Also any links from TLC would be good...

Cheers

I used some IP65 shower downlights (from CEF) and fitted with 9W CFL lamps, did the job nicely. Just make sure when you go to the trade or whatever counter that the lamps do not protrude from the luminaire, as stated above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back