bathroom hot water pressure

B

bradleigh1977

We have jut had a bathroom fitted. Now we have a hot water cylinder in the cupboard, next to the bath. and the header tank above it, in the same room. We cannot move the tank up as the loft is a bedroom...so...

The hot water pressure was ok before the new bathroom, but since its been installed its rubbish. The taps are at the other end now, so there is an extra 2 meters of pipe. We have a mixer tap, with a shower attachment, but if you lift that up a bit the hot water stops and cannot push up!

I am a plasterer, and i do know a little bit. I checked that there wasnt no rubbish blocking it, and even got the plumber back and he checked too. so nothing is blocking it.

We was going to put a shower in, but as we got a mixer tap, we thought that would do....

SO...can i just get a pump ( 1.5 bar is what we have been looking at ) and stick that in the cupboard, and then will that give us great hot water pressure? OR get a power shower and pump, so we have a brilliant shower, but then the bath hot water will still be pony?

If the answer is yes to a pump, and that makes the mixer head work god, then we wont need a power shower.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks for taking time to read this

bradleigh

Sponsored Links
sounds like he may off fitted high pressure mixer taps to your bath.

do you have the instructions or a make/model of the mixer ?

what type of cylinder do you have is the hw storage part of the cylinder or black tank above cylinder.

The hot water is stored n the cylinder, and the tank above is cold water to feed that. As for the taps-the instructions went in the bin-the make is tigre bath shower mixer, and it says on wickes website that they are for high and low pressure systems.

The only pressure we get is the black tank above the cylinder, where the bottom of that is about 5ft high. that goes down into the cylinder, than along and back about 4 meters of pipe, then up to bath height.

Cold is fine, hot is like someone weeing on you now.....

Sponsored Links
the cold is more likely mains pressure.
the taps are probably fitted on flexis to they restrict the flow as well being narrow bore.

Cheers,Yes they are fitted with flexi hoses,As opposed to before when they were on copper piping.
So if I buy a pump,Will it up the pressure or am I wasting my money?
Cheers

Cheers,Yes they are fitted with flexi hoses,As opposed to before when they were on copper piping.
So if I buy a pump,Will it up the pressure or am I wasting my money?

you can buy a pump but that will work out quite expensive by the time you buy pump,cylinder fitting,alter pipework.

i would get him back to connect the taps up with copper pipe first that will be a cheeper option first.

any descent installer would know not to fit flexis on the head pressure you've got.
you paid for a pro job, so you want a system that works.

if you run cold only can you lift the shower head up and the shower keeps running ?
or shut your mains stopcock and see if your cold stops flowing that'll check if the cold is mains pressure.

Thanks for this mate

The cold is mains pressure, and the installer is a friend and it wasnt that expensive fitting the bathroom--i mean, i ripped it all out, rebuilt the walls, plastered them. Went and got the stuff etc, he came in and was done 3 hours later. Im not trying to defend him, but i dont think he knew what the hot water pressure was like before.

As for the shower head, if you leave it in the bath it comes out hot, if you lift it up say 3 ft, the hot stops. I think i'd rather stick in a pump, for the reason, i can get one cheap, and the labour cost i'm not really fussed about.

If we also change our mind in a few weeks, about a power shower, then i can always get one, and i already have a pump.

Thanks again for all your help.

Bradleigh

is there a pump you would or would not recommend? and is 1.5 bar enough?

Sorry, if i got him to change the pipes to copper, then the pressure will be back to normal, which was ok, but id prefer to get the hot water to high pressure if thats possible..

Thanks again

i would opt for a stuart turner or salamander esp pump
a standard positive pump more likely won't work as you don't have the head height above the shower

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back