Bathroom leak through lounge ceiling - pictures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I originally posted this in 'Building' but it has been recommended I re post here..

I've been reading some of the other posts ref upstairs --> downstairs leaks and they have put my mind at ease (to a certain degree).

Looking at buying a house that's had such a leak, I've got a few photos that will hopefully explain the situation, one is of the upstairs bathroom floor and two of the ceiling below. Getting the entire ceiling plastered/painted wouldn't be as a disaster (not keen on the current artex).

Intend to get a building survey done rather than a homebuyers report (should we get an offer accepted), but any opinions and ballpark figures re cost would be greatly appreciated.

The house was built in 1998 so I don't think asbestos will be an issue.

Room dimensions are: 4.75 x 4.08

Under the lino in the bathroom..

View media item 62605
Ceiling no. 1 View media item 62606
Ceiling no. 2
View media item 62607

Sponsored Links
I guess you would need to have a look under the floor to be sure exactly how bad the damage is.
Wondering if the surveyor will only be able to recommend a more detailed inspection! As I think they have to careful not to damage anything.

Replacing section of p/board in the ceiling below doesn't look too bad - cut out, screw to joists, maybe noggin or two. Tight bonding coat (possibly) and re skim.
Water looks like it has tracked along a joist. I'd want to see how much damage has been done, let it dry out thoroughly whilst open and maybe paint with some cuprinol on any joists that got wet before sealing it up (e.g. http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/5_star_complete_wood_treatment_(fp).jsp).
Bathroom looks like it needs at least a new section of chipboard, possible bit of skirt replacement and p/board behind if it is std wallboard and wicked moisture up.
Is the white in pic #1 the side of the bath?

Hi, Thank you for the reply.

Yes, the white in the side of pic no.1 is the bath.

Water has obviously covered the bathroom floor, but it looked like it had dried and hadn't caused too much damage. I think the sensible thing to do would replace all the chipboard anyway and then have a poke around underneath to see what damage has been done, before getting the ceiling sorted downstairs.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the white in the side of pic no.1 is the bath.

Was wondering if the bath panel can be easily removed. May have floor boards missing underneath and possible to see under. Buyer may give you permission.
Then you would be better informed for purchase and possibly help your surveyor be more decisive (should you proceed).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back