Bathroom leak - Ceiling tiles - Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone.

This is my first post so apologies if its in the wrong section.

Just looking for some advice...

I have a leak from the hot or cold water pipe servicing the bathroom on 1st floor. The affected section of the ceiling is rendered with plaster in between beams. Above the plaster looks like large tiles laying on top of the beams.

Basically i wanted your opinions on whether or not this tile/panel/board looks like it contains asbestos?

I have to remove the panel to get to the leak as i believe its coming from pipework in the ceiling itself as i can't see anything from the bathroom floor.

I'll be looking into it to getting it tested, does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced tester?

The place was built in 1900 and converted into a maisonette approx 1970.

Attached close up photos as well as wider view for perspective.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks

. DSC_1258.JPG DSC_1261.JPG DSC_1262.JPG DSC_1263.JPG

Sponsored Links
Does it look like it is sandwiched between two sheets of paper/card if so chances are it is plasterboard , but........... the bad news that surface texture could well be Artex if so there is a fair chance that contains asbestos, best course of action is to get a sample of each tested.

It has a thin layer of something (looks like paint to me but its been damaged by water so difficult to tell). Also difficult to really see as i didn't want to disturb the render or the board above in case it does contain asbestos.

I'll get both tested when i find a suitable place that does that sort of thing- thanks for the advice!

You have two issues here:
1. is the faint possibility of asbestos. My advice is wear a mask, and pull the ceiling down. Vacuum up any dust or debris.
2. The water damage. You either lift the floor or go through the ceiling to fix any leak(s) in the floor.
Going through the already damaged ceiling seems easiest.

FWIW: the "beams" look like rough sawn 4" x 2"s - but perspectives in photos can be misleading.

Sponsored Links
Either way that's not the flooring above those beams, which just look decorative and I use that term loosely.
Take up the flooring above, fix the leak, get yourself a mask to be on the safe side, scrape off the loose artex and plaster and re plaster the damage.

Why remove the bathroom floor when the OP has said that the leak is in the floor - if the floor is tiled with ceramic or marble or has a wood polished floor then its an expensive and unnecessary option.

Exposing the pipework by removing what passes for a ceiling will also show the state of the sub-floor above.

Yeah - i really want to sort it from the underside of ceiling if possible. Its water damaged and brittle already so if i only have to go from one side it'll be easier.

Vinn - thanks and with regards to the beams, you're spot on - that's exactly what they are. I need to fix this leak first and then i will be hiding the whole ugly lot!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back