Bathroom LEDs

Joined
27 Sep 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into a house with 4 Ceiling LED lights in the bathroom. It’s clear the previous owner liked to dabble in electrical work. Two have stopped working after the worse were moved with insulation work, and the other two don’t switch off fully - they ghost. I’ve looked in the loft at the connection (photo attached). I’m going to go back to basics and check all connections to each light but would the dodgy earths have anything to do with ghosting

Also, any value in putting these in something more modern - Wago connectors within a box?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1547.jpeg
    IMG_1547.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
the other two don’t switch off fully - they ghost.

Looking at your picture, I guess the cables are, clockwise from 12 o’clock: lights, switch, fan, supply in & out.

How long are the cable runs to the switch, light & fan? My guess is that the cause is capacitive coupling in one of those cables, or in the fan. It’s not a “smart switch”, is it? If I were you, I’d try carefully disconnecting things in that junction box and see what, if anything, stops the “ghosting”.

It may be that new lights would not suffer this problem.

would the dodgy earths have anything to do with ghosting

What do you mean by “dodgy earths”?

I’m curious about the large earth wire. Where does that go? Does it maybe attach to bathroom water pipes?

Also, any value in putting these in something more modern - Wago connectors within a box?

No. Some strain relief would be a good idea though.
 
Yu can check and tighten all the connections or replace with wago boxes but that involves terminations too even though ultimately MF
 
Well the requirements say a CPC on it's own needs to be a certain thickness, but that is not compatable with connecting to light fittings/6A junctions.

On the plus side:
No exposed wires (grey sheath into JB)
CPC sleeving on everything
brown sleeving to identify.
 
I recently moved into a house with 4 Ceiling LED lights in the bathroom. It’s clear the previous owner liked to dabble in electrical work. Two have stopped working after the worse were moved with insulation work, and the other two don’t switch off fully - they ghost. I’ve looked in the loft at the connection (photo attached). I’m going to go back to basics and check all connections to each light but would the dodgy earths have anything to do with ghosting 67 clicker

Also, any value in putting these in something more modern - Wago connectors within a box?
Thank you for sharing such an insightful discussion on bathroom LEDs! I appreciate the detailed breakdown of installation tips and the potential benefits of energy efficiency. It's fascinating to see how proper lighting can transform a space, enhancing not just aesthetics but also our daily routines. This topic is more relevant than ever as we consider sustainable home improvements and their broader implications for energy consumption. Your contributions help demystify what can often be a daunting DIY project. Looking forward to more discussions like this on innovative home enhancements!
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top