Bathroom light advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a new bathroom fitted. lighting wire has been layed above the ceiling in preparation for downlights as im having the room skimmed etc.
We also want a small light over a mirror (approved pull cord type etc) before its plastered i want to obviously sort put the wiring for this

There is an old shaver connection in the bathroom which will be capped as it is not used.
I know its possible but is it acceptable/legal to take a feed from this source to use for the light? obviously this socket is not on the lighting circuit.

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Steve_26 said:
obviously this socket is not on the lighting circuit.
What makes you think this? it is usual to run a shaver transformer off the lighting circuit.
If you use this the connections must be crimped if they are not going to be accessible.

I stand corrected,i remember that when i disconnected the lighting fuse at the CU the shaver connection was dead.
So it is linked to the lighting circuit.No problem there.

Why crimp rather than using a box to join the wires up?

Cheers

Qedelec said:
If you use this the connections must be crimped if they are not going to be accessible.

Qedelec, a quick question: What qualifies as 'accessible' ? Is mounting under floorboards covered with underlay and carpet (or laminate) considered 'accessible' ? and what is considered inaccessible ? anyone ?

Sponsored Links
Steve_26 said:
Why crimp rather than using a box to join the wires up?
Because if a connection is not accessible for inspection it needs to be a permanent joint, Make sure you use calibrated ratchet crimpers.

[quote="jonny_throstleQedelec, a quick question: What qualifies as 'accessible' ? Is mounting under floorboards covered with underlay and carpet (or laminate) considered 'accessible' ? and what is considered inaccessible ? anyone ?[/quote]

NO what you state is not considered 'accessible'.
You could make it accessible by adding a notice on the wall stating that there is a JB under the floor at that point and maybe adding a flap in the carpet.
It comes down to what an inspector would look for, would you, for instance, expect the person doing a Periodic Inspection to start dismantling your house and lifting the floorboards?

In my experience not many inspectors check houses!! thats why so many people bodge things up and never get caught,when i bought my house i had a basic servey,, they said dont trust the roof plumbing or electrics but the rest house is sound!

I had my house valued recently,i have the old brown fuse box but have a brand new CU ready for fitting she said its really worth doing if i sell coz when people see a new box they think the wiring is all new..i got a sparky coming round next week to take alook he mentioned "certificates" and "new earthing" ...sounds expensive,, looks like a £500 job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back