Bathroom Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening all. Here's the situation. Today an electrician came and fitted a bathroom ceiling light. It's an ice cube 3 way bathroom spotlight. Two spotlights work fine but the third doesn't. It isn't the bulb as he tested it and it was fine in the other spotlights. He thinks the fitting the bulb goes into is broke and didn't want to take it apart so we left it at that. The lights up minus one working spotlight. It probably broke in transit during delivery. Now Amazon have been very cool and will refund the full price despite it being way past the refund point but this would mean taking it down and getting a chap to refit a new one. Now the wife and I can live with two spotlights but I was wondering if the fitting that the bulb goes into can be replaced or does the whole darn thing need taking down and replaced?

Please feel free to ask any questions about this but as an electrics illiterate I can't promise much! X x[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Oh I can't be bothered with all that fuss and expense. It's dark now and the two spotlights provide more than enough light. It will have to do I guess. Anyway Ordinary Lies is on BBC 1 now and it's a cracking good show. X x

The wife and I.

Why are you sending us kisses?

Ordinary Lies??

Why would you consider leaving the fitting with one faulty spot light?

The fault could be dangerous (though hopefully your electrician has eliminated this).

For goodness sake, get your electrician back to fit a whole new fitting - as I'm sure he'd rather do that than mess about trying to fix the current one.

Sponsored Links
The wife and I was a reference to the fact that my wife and I could live with just two spotlights. Ordinary Lies is a TV programme I went to watch thus terminating electric talk. Kisses because it's a quirky, affectionate way of signing off the messages and as for the light there seems to be sufficient illumination so we will cope with the two operational spotlights. Now I'm going to watch The Wolf of Wall Street. It looks very good. Review to follow. Just kidding. That's for the IMDB. X x

The light needs replacing, it is faulty, could be potentially dangerous dependant on fault.
Stop watching TV and call back the electrician and Amazon!

Ok chaps, let's draw a line under this and close this post. The light is sufficient. It will suffice. We are not bothered about one spotlight being out. The electrician didn't say it was dangerous and he was from a very reputable local company. I only ever made the original post to see if there was a cheap and easy solution that I could do from home such as unscrew the bulb fitting and pop in another. This probably isn't even possible! I'm certainly not taking the whole apparatus down. We both find it aesthetically pleasing and have enough light to draw a bath or apply toothpaste to teeth for the art of brushing. Thank you one and all for your concern and love. Now it's back to school on Monday ( I teach the custodial arts) and I wish to resume the viewing of Wolf of Wall Street. It's terribly long but awfully satisfying! X x

If the fault is a loose connection with the bare end of the wire floating loose in the fitting then at some time in the future that wire could move a bit, create a short circuit and plunge the house into darkness as the MCB and / or RCD operate due to the fault in the fitting.

Well we will cross that bridge when we come to it. I've had to pause Wolf if Wall Street to answer this post. If the house is plunged into darkness we will pretend it's a WW2 blackout and construct an Anderson shelter in the front room using sheets and a system of ropes and pulleys. We will eat tinned pilchards and sing Keep the home fires burning. Sounds an absolute hoot. X x x

I was wondering if the fitting that the bulb goes into can be replaced or does the whole darn thing need taking down and replaced?
You may well have wondered that, but you knew when you came here and asked that no matter what anybody said you had no intention of actually doing anything about it, so why did you bother?

I was wondering if the fitting that the bulb goes into can be replaced or does the whole darn thing need taking down and replaced?
You may well have wondered that, but you knew when you came here and asked that no matter what anybody said you had no intention of actually doing anything about it, so why did you bother?

Just another example of "quote" madness.

Now now chaps let's not get silly. I must say that I fully intended to do something about the light had I got the answer I wanted which was, and here I will adopt the persona of a tradesman, ' all you need to do mate is unscrew the fitting and stick another one in mate'. Obviously this isn't possible but I still deeply appreciate the attempts at guidance. Now I'm about to watch a documentary about White House security. It's called Olympus Has Fallen and it looks an absolute hoot. X x

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back