Bathroom lighting problem - grateful for advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Apologies for long, first posting here. I really need some good advice.

Bathroom has two 'downlighters' - both house PAR 38 bulbs, which I understand are generally meant for external floodlighting. One of these packed up a while ago - I swapped in a new bulb, no dice. The wife thinks that the screw fitting was sticky, but I've subsequently confirmed that the bulb screws all the way in. Although recognising there must a fault, I didn't have time to investigate. Some time passed - I suppose having one working bulb meant that it wasn't considered a priority. Fair to say also that the bathroom was also a darn sight cooler as 2 x PAR 38's kick out a fair bit of heat.

Just the other day I pulled the light switch cord and nothing happened. I swapped the bulb that had been working - no luck. I tried the switch a few times and it felt "not right". I removed and replaced. No lights still. I have double checked the wiring at the pull switch. It's a 2-way switch. There are two wires coming out of the ceiling, one is sort of red and one sort of darker red/possibly black. I put one in Com and one in L1. I'm assuming that the switch toggles on and off (so it wouldn't matter if the wires went in COM and L2). I have tried the wires either way (i.e. swapped so that they've both had a go in each respective peg). Tried COM and L2 too!

The wiring at the switch is pretty old, I think, though seems in reasonable condition. I have not touched the wiring behind the two 'downlighters' to which I would have to gain access from the loft.

My experience is basic and rudimentary. I can usually replace a light switch like for like without any problem.

What would have caused the lights to fail - assuming the new bulbs are working correctly. What tests could I apply to understand why the circuit is not working as it should.

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
You need a test meter and the skills to use it.

Those PAR38 fittings suffer from bad contacts in the base. They lose their spring after a while and a steamy room won't help.

Turn ALL the power off
check to make sure its really off
see //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7553

then see if you can see if the bottom contact can be prised up so it makes contact.

Cheers.

Will give it a go. I always shut EVERYTHING off at the mains before attempting anything. Will get a multimeter though, and then have a go.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks

Steve

Update on this old thread......

I got a pal in who tested and confirmed power was at the fitting. I'm ashamed to say 2 new bulbs did the trick. I was so embarrassed.

And so it's been fine until today.

The young un said the lights don't work. I checked - and they flicker once.........and then nothing.

I'll check the bulbs with my multimeter....just to be sure. Then the socket.

Weird that they both went at once. And that they flicker once.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Sometimes when I pull the cord both of them seem to flicker momentarily.

Sometimes maybe one of them will flicker.

Sometimes neither.

I did buy a spare PAR38 this evening and fitted it - nothing. I was fairly sure it wasn't the bulbs, but wanted to rule that out as it had caused me such embarrassment previously.

So.....still showering in darkness.

If the lights are flickering and the lamp/bubs are sound, then you want to start looking at loose or damaged connection at the switch, light fittings and any junctions/joints that are associated with this part of the circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back