electrical wires what goes where in light switch panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to wire a light in a bedroom with two bulbs using a 2 gang way L1 L2 COM light switch
It has black and red wire poking out what goes where please

The other is a single bulb 2 red wires poking out of wall again L1 L2 COM 2 gang way switch what goes where thanks.

This is in a house mains voltage

Sponsored Links
Did you not make a note vefore you took the old one off?:rolleyes:
It has black and red wire poking out what goes where please

Poking out of where, the ceiling? the wall? behind the light switch? tell more.

For the other one
a single bulb 2 red wires poking out of wall again L1 L2 COM 2 gang way switch what goes where

I guess you mean the wiring at the switch?
One red on COM the other on L1.

You may find the WIKI some help. //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting

Do you have a two probe voltage testing instrument?
1) If so isolate power, prove power is dead
2) Terminate each cable end into a separate connector block
3) Re-energise power
4) Test which cable is permanently live (test between live and earth)
5) The cable identified as perm live goes to com of switch and the cable that is not perm live goes to L1.
6) isolate again and prove dead.
7) Terminate cables as above, terminate earth to earth terminal and screw plate on and re-energise.
NB.
*I assume wiring at a two gang switch, with one way operation.
*And presence of an earth/CPC.

Trying to wire a light in a bedroom with two bulbs using a 2 gang way L1 L2 COM light switch ... It has black and red wire poking out what goes where please ... The other is a single bulb 2 red wires poking out of wall again L1 L2 COM 2 gang way switch what goes where thanks.
As has been said, your description is not very clear and we really need a bit more information before we can advise you safely.

What are you doing - simply replacing the switch with a new one (using the wiring which was connected to the old switch), or something else?

Do I take it that there is just one 2-gang switch controlling these two lights, and that neither of the lights can be controlled by any other switch?

Are all the 'poking out' wires you are talking about poking out into the box behind the switch, or what?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
We could have weekends off if every DIY'er made notes/ took photos of their wiring before applying the dreaded 'driver.... ;)

The bedroom light works now thanks but the other needs doing
Two red wires greenyellow single black single all but red wires are in a plastic connector not connected to anything
They go into the same deal 2 gang way L1 L2 COM

Thanks

So, if I understand, you have two red wires and the earths in green/yellow sleeving?

One red to COM, the other red to L1.

But that is what I told you yesterday!!!!!
I guess you mean the wiring at the switch?
One red on COM the other on L1.
The earths (green/yellow) should terminate on the back box terminal if it is metal. Also the earth connection must be made to the front plate of the new switch, if it is metal.

OK??

The bedroom light works now thanks but the other needs doing
Two red wires greenyellow single black single all but red wires are in a plastic connector not connected to anything
They go into the same deal 2 gang way L1 L2 COM Thanks

Is this a two way switch (is there another switch operating the light) ?

I read this as two red cores, one black core and a green/yellow :?:

Maybe it's just me, but I remain unsure as to exactly what wiring the OP has.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back