Bathroom Lights Out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our bathroom lights flickered and stopped today, and no longer light up at all. Hitting the light switch does turn on the extractor fan, but not the lights. There are about 10 mini low-voltage downlights, so I'm guessing there is a transformer or something between the switch and lights, which is bypassed for the extractor fan.

This happened after a fairly hot shower, so there was probably a lot of steam around just before they went.

Does anyone have any idea what might have gone wrong here?

I have no idea how to locate the transformer, assuming there is one.

Thanks for any hints,
WB.

Sponsored Links
Providing everything is suitable for its environment then the steam shouldn't have been an issue.
Hitting the switch?? :eek:
Might be worth replacing the switch rather than hitting it!

Chances are it's above one of the lamps. I guess you will have to take them down, one by one, in the most likely order, and see if a transformer comes down with a lamp.

When I say most likely order - try to decide where the circuit is coming from physically, and take that one down first.

Sponsored Links
Hitting the light switch does turn on the extractor fan, but not the lights.
Do you mean "hit", or "turn on"? If the former, please stop.

There are about 10 mini low-voltage downlights, so I'm guessing there is a transformer or something between the switch and lights, which is bypassed for the extractor fan.
It would be better to open the switch up and check the connections rather than guess.

This happened after a fairly hot shower, so there was probably a lot of steam around just before they went.
Does the fan not work properly?

Does anyone have any idea what might have gone wrong here?
Failed transformer or failed connection(s) in the cabling.

I have no idea how to locate the transformer, assuming there is one.
Well if everything is OK at the switch, someone is going to have to find the transformer and/or the circuit cables, as it will probably have a neutral connection somewhere else.

So that's you or an electrician.

Is there access to the ceiling void from above?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back