Fan and SELV lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just installed an extractor fan in my bathroom which is controlled by the pullcord lightswitch.

I now also want to change the current light in the bathroom (a 240V standard bulb job) to SELV 12V halogen downlights.

I have been told that I can't have SELV lights and fan on the same circuit as the high voltages generated when switching on and off the fan will destroy the transformer for the SELV lights

Can anyone confirm whether this is true

Sponsored Links
bobajob said:
I have been told that I can't have SELV lights and fan on the same circuit as the high voltages generated when switching on and off the fan will destroy the transformer for the SELV lights

Can anyone confirm whether this is true

It seems a bit far fetched, however I suppose if there is one of those electronic transformers, it might be possible, but I would have thought you would be definately safe with a proper wound transformer (there is nothing in it which would be affected)

1) Replace the fan with a SELV one

2) Replace the fan with one with a timed overrun

3) Use a DP switch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back