Bathroom Extractor Fan - SELV or not??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for some clarification on whether the extractor fan I plan to install needs to be SELV or not.
I plan to install an extractor fan with timer in Zone 1 (over shower bath) and despite a search on this forum and elsewhere I haven't managed to find a definitive answer.
I appreciate that SELV is safer however if the fan was appropriately rated for the location (IPX4) would this still be OK. My need for clarification arises from calculating that i need an extraction rate of 150m3/hr (though its only a small bathroom :eek: ) and the SELV fans seem to have max rates of 90m3/hr.
If expert opinion is that SELV is definitely the way to go irrespective of the required extraction rate then that is OK by me, I would just like to know what you expert sparkies think :)
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sorry everybody, already asked this question back in October 04 :oops:
Since then the birth of my first child has seriously fuddled my brain - lack of sleep, burst ear drums, sick stained clothes, no social life, lack of beer......these are my excuses........will try and think harder :rolleyes:

You're an Engineering student!

Oh no - hang on - you said lack of beer....

Still - 5 out of 6 - pretty close ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back