230v Bathroom Fan - OK for shower area?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: Hi

A new bathroom fan I've brought IS NOT SELV.

It has the Square in Square symbol, and is designed to work in the loft.

It has an IPX4 rating.

MY QUESTION

As this is not a SELV unit - can I safely install the fan in the loft in a vertical position
so it vents out of a roof cowl AND have the bathroom grill within the shower cubicle area.

I ask because when the grandchildren come over and/if they decided to start spraying
the shower (coming off mains pressure/combi boiler) up into the grill/vent leading up the
aluminium ducting - would this still be safe?

I wanted to install the fan within the cubicle (not enclosed at the top - regular height) so
that the fan extracted X amount before filtering out into the rest of the bathroom.

Or should I fit the fan outside of the shower area - the fan is rated at 187 m3/hour
( 52 Litres per second) Airflow Rate.

Advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
if your talking about an inline fan then as long as you mount the fan a least 1 meter from the bathroom end of the duct it should be fine. assuming you got rcd protection at db-earth the duct.

assuming you got rcd protection at db-earth the duct.

:eek:

Why ?

OP Is the fan in line or a surface unit ? What do the instructions say ? (or give us the exact model type).

Is the shower fixed or is it a lead and head that could be detached from the rail and the spray could be aimed up and in to the fan motor and electrical connection.

Sorry, I should have said - it is an inline fan.

It is from a company called Fantronix via Ebay.

Before I brought this fan I emailed them asking who makes it, they came back with "Vent".

It does look like a well built and sturdy unit.

The shower is a the type on a hose detachable from the rail.

To be on the safe side, I think I need to place it out of the cubicle area.

Just one other point - MDW said about earthing the ducting - should I?

The ducting goes onto the 'plastic' input/output of the fan.

If yes - would it be acceptable to connect earth (with yellow/green sleeve) to the large jubilee clip that holds the ducting to the fan, and run this back to a JB at earth?

Many thanks for input.

Sponsored Links
I assume it is a combo fan light? They are designed for the grill to go inside the shower cubicle, and that is the best place for it as that's the steamy bit.

You'll be OK, put the fan in the loft, if it is an INLINE fan. It is unlikely that water will get there.
Post a link to the product you have bought so we can check.

Re MDW's comments re earthing the ducting. Ignore this spurious advice. He's blowing smoke out of his rear end.

PS I trust you have read the WIKI re doing electrical works in bathrooms? You should read it before you start.

you may want to consider installing a condensation trap on the ducting as well. the mi may recommend this also. As for earthing the ducting as taylortwocities says, that is complete tosh

as you will be modifing the cabling you will need rcd/rcbo protection on the lighting supply also a fan isolator switch installing.

Hi Zap,

Heres their web site, any chance you could point out which fan/duct you are talking about? It might cut out some of the guesswork for people here.

http://www.fantronix.com/

From your description, it sounds fairly clear that the fan is in the loft, not the bathroom. I'm not sure why people are telling you about the need for RCD protection/fan isolators etc. And as for earthing the duct, thats plop advice.

BTW, interesting website. They seem to provide a one stop solution for avid indoor gardeners

:rolleyes: thats strange, i can see the website when i edit my post, but it doesn't appear in it :unsure:

Maybe diynot.com are already aware of the nature of this companies business and don't wish to be associated with them? :eek:

From your description, it sounds fairly clear that the fan is in the loft, not the bathroom. I'm not sure why people are telling you about the need for RCD protection/fan isolators etc. And as for earthing the duct, thats plop advice

I assume your connecting the bathroom fan to the bathroom wiring? Hence rcd/rcbo

Fitting local isolation is good practice and recommended despite previous posters advice to the contry

From your description, it sounds fairly clear that the fan is in the loft, not the bathroom. I'm not sure why people are telling you about the need for RCD protection/fan isolators etc. And as for earthing the duct, thats plop advice

I assume your connecting the bathroom fan to the bathroom wiring? Hence rcd/rcbo
but you also said, (my underline)
as you will be modifing the cabling you will need rcd/rcbo protection on the lighting supply also a fan isolator switch installing.
Given that you have assumed a few things, which may or may not be correct, i think its a bit cavalier to tell someone that they 'will need to...' when you don't know thats correct.

What makes you think RCD protection is required? Can you point us to a reg for this, please?

(BTW, please don't direct us toward section 701 as i don't think the OP is very likely to have a bath or shower in the loft :) )
Fitting local isolation is good practice and recommended despite previous posters advice to the contry
IF your assumptions are correct, then a fan isolator may be a prudent move, but i doubt it will be a necessity unless the MI calls for it.

Sorry for the delay.

I am not trying to advertise, but I thought this to be such a good deal
(considering what is included in the box), I thought I share it - also there
seems to be some confusion over it being a 'gardening site' . . . ummm I
didn't see that.

Fantroic told me this fan was made by Vent - but looking at the main site
now they are called TT (seems they are made for Fantronic as FANTRONIC
is on the casing).

Mine is the 100mm with timer.

Thanks again - here are the links;

Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180610515253

Fantronix

TT Series Mixed Flow Duct Extractor Fans

http://fantronix.com/acatalog/In_Line_Mixed_Flow_Extractor_Fan_TT_.html

User/fittings instructions

http://fantronix.com/acatalog/tt_user.pdf

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
OK so its an inline fan and it goes in the loft.
Connects to existing lighting circuit, all wriring is in the loft so no need to notify as the loft is not a special location.

OK so its an inline fan and it goes in the loft.
Connects to existing lighting circuit, all wriring is in the loft so no need to notify as the loft is not a special location.

Would that still apply if it had a light as well?

Cheers

G

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back