Bathroom Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Sorry but this is another bathroom light post.

I am currently refitting my bathroom and the lights we had previously were terrible kitchen lights that were not rated for bathroom use (240v GU10 fittings with no waterproof covering etc so they are now pretty rusty and dangerous!).

My father is a spark so I have no problems with the safety aspect of removing and fitting new units however we were thinking of fitting a transformer to take it down to 12v and have LED units. Now here is the question:

Which setup to purchase? Ideally I'd like one transformer feeding all 4 lights but unsure which transformer could do this and which IP65 rated fitting to match it?

Sponsored Links
If you are going down the LED route why don't you buy something designed for the job. Aurora, JCC and Halers all make LED downlights as a complete unit and most are IP44

Mixing LEDs lamps and transformers is not the most efficent way of doing it. LEDs work better with a constant current driver.

Why one transformer - if that fails you loose all the lights.

Here's an idea - why not ask your father ?

Because he works as a spark at ITV hence asking about products not how to wire them :)

If you are going down the LED route why don't you buy something designed for the job. Aurora, JCC and Halers all make LED downlights as a complete unit and most are IP44

Mixing LEDs lamps and transformers is not the most efficent way of doing it. LEDs work better with a constant current driver.

Well ideally I'd like them to be IP65 standard as one of the lights sit over a shower cabinet. Would something like this be OK?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/robus-fix...bathroom-downlight-polished-chrome-240v/22455

Why one transformer - if that fails you loose all the lights.

Cost TBH

Sponsored Links
I think you are getting muddled.

You can have 240V light above the shower - if IPX4 or better - or higher than 2.25metres from floor.
You can get 240V LED lights so NO transformers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back