Bathroom Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to replace 3 bathroom halogen lights which are fixed flush into the ceiling.

On viewing the lights in the attic, the previous owner cut lots of insulation from around the light enclosure as a fire prevention method. Looks as if I may be losing a fair bit of heat into the attic as a result.

I'm planning on fitting LED light bulbs but wondering if there is bathroom ceiling lights that comes with fire resistant "cones" so I can just push the insulation around the fixture to prevent loss of heat from the bathroom below.

Sponsored Links
The insulation is removed to allow adequate airflow around the light fittings to prevent them over heating, but as you say you are losing heat around them and more importantly allowing moist air from your bathroom to enter the loft space. Even LED lamps run hot so will require a good sized space around them for airflow. If you wish to stick with downlights the best bet is to build some plasterboard boxes allowing enough space as per the light fitting manufacturers instructions around the lamp then placing these over the fittings in the loft and sealing them to the ceiling with silicon, the loft insulation can then be relaid over the top of your boxes.

THESE are the best all-round LEDs that I have found.
Also there is an optional Insulation Cover Cap (see link) that allows you to cover them over with insulation material.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back