IP44 bathroom light and zone location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my father in law has just got his bathroom renovated, he's now got a shower, the original bathroom light (fixed batten lamp) is more or less just over the top of quadrant shower screen

I'm looking to replace this with this, is this suitable for the zone he requires?

12W 27.5cm LED Ceiling Lights, 100W Incandescent Bulb Equivalent, IP44, Daylight White, 950lm, Lighting for Bathroom, Kitchen, Hallway, Flush Ceiling Lights [Energy Class A+]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
IP44 is suitable for Zone 1 and 2 if it's a ceiling mounted light.

The regulations are here

http://www.lyco.co.uk/advice/bathroom-zones-what-can-go-where/

I disgree that IPx4 fittings are safe in Zone 1 where a shower spray head could jet water onto a lamp. IPx5 should be the minimum there.

IP 44 might be OK if it was only water splashes that could reach the lamp and the lamp can sustain limited ingress of water .

ip_guide_coloured.jpg

It's a ceiling light though, so you'd have to go nuts to start spraying the ceiling with the shower.

Sponsored Links
Your link is incorrect. Easily recognised because the diagram has a made-up zone round the washbasin

Strict compliance with section 701 can be achieved with the areas around a wash basin being considered as outside zones.

http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/53/section-701/index.cfm

BUT common sense is that water can be spashed around a wash basin and thus the risks applicable to Zone 2 ( possibly also those risk applicable to Zone 1 ) can be said to exist in the area around a wash basin.

Most manufacturers and sellers of lighting fittings for use in a bathroom accept that there are water related risks around wash basins and thus state that area is in Zone 2 when stipulatiing where their products can and cannot be used.

Your link is incorrect. Easily recognised because the diagram has a made-up zone round the washbasin.
Not that I agree with the Z2 sink idea but:
It is good practice to regard the area around a wash basin, within a 60cm radius of any tap as zone 2.

Suggesting that it is not actually regulation.

Are not the people responsible for defining zones or regulations.

Sometimes people with common sense do things or reccomend methods that are better than the regulations are at ensuring safety. After all the regulations have to be a compromise between total safety ( extremely expensive or impossible to achieve ) and a level of safety which, based on risk asessments, is acceptable and possible to achieve at an affordable cost.

But it remains wrong for a lighting manufacturer (or anyone else) to publish a document which purports to show zones, but has in fact been modified according to their whim.

When a vendor of bathroom lighting says "These bathroom zones are designed to ensure that only bathroom lights provided with appropriate protection are used" I think it is apparent that his desire to sell his bathroom lights is influencing what he says.

The bathroom zones are not designed to ensure that only bathroom lights are used.

Incidentally, the lycos diagram also shows a spurious zone 2 above zone 1, though it doesn't seem to be mentioned in the text.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back