Bathroom Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A question on the finer points of the regs and the definition of bathroom Zone 2....

My sparks is telling me that a fitting in Zone 2 (in the ceiling about 2.4m above a shower) needs to be IP67 because the shower is classed as a 'water jet'. All the diagrams I can see suggest that IP44 would be OK.

Anyone got a definitive answer as to whether a shower is classed as a 'water jet'??

Sponsored Links
IP44 is fine.

The requirement is :

IPx4 for a light in zone 2, but IPx5 if likely to be hosed down.

IPx4 is generally considered fine, with the exception of communal type showers.

IPx7 - Your having a laugh :LOL:

IP67 =

6=Totally protected against dust
7=Protection against the effects of temporary immersion in water up to 1mtr deep for no longer than 30minutes.

So unless you're intending to fit the lights in the shower base :eek: :LOL: , as said above, IPx4 is fine

Thanks guys, big help. IP44 it is!!

Another question while I'm at it... Can you recommend a contactor or relay that I can use on the load side of the lighting pull cord switch (before the lights) to switch the extract fan? I'd be mounting it in the loft.

I know it may sound like an odd question, but the reason I need it is that I'm installing a dimmable pull cord and I need the fan to be a seperate circuit as it also serves another bathroom.

I've not used relays or contactors before...

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
For relays try:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=SPEC&ModuleNo=37518&doy=24m1#spec
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SR501.html

Relays are just basically switches, there will be coil terminals, C, N/C, and N/O.

The coil terminals is where you connect your switch live and neutral
C is where you connect a unswitched Live
N/O is where you connect the live to the fan

The neutral for the fan pick up off the coil terminal and the same if your fan requires an unswitched live.

You will just need some kind of box to house the relay

The switched live to the contactor coil will be from the dimmer so that wont solve your problem

I'm not familiar with those dimmers but I'm sure there must be a simple solution :confused:

fit a PIR for the fan.. comes on then in the day too when you don't bother turning the light on..

Don't the pull cord dimmers have a normal switched output for fans?

Thanks guys. The pull cord I'm looking at is this one...

www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wir...ng_Accessories~Dimmers_All/Dimpull/index.html

It says it is 'suitable for use with fans' but I'm pretty sure (from reading this forum) that it's not by means of a seperate switched output and it only has a single load contact. I guess it depends on whether the relay is compatible with the dimmed output.

Pretty sure a PIR would work as an alternative but it's a small room and I'm worried the fan would go off every time someone walks past the door.

I've drawn a diagram of how I'd hoped to wire it up.. How do I upload it?

Grateful for all your help..

Well - at the risk of being labelled unhelpful again, I have to say that if that diagram really is what you intend to do, (i.e. the mistakes are in your design, not just in the drawing), then you need to back off and spend some time learning about really basic stuff like current flow in circuits, what switches and relays do etc, before you start fiddling with electrics in your bathroom.

You've got the switched live for your fan coming from a light downstairs - the relay isn't playing any part at all.

As for the relay - I don't know which are the coil terminals and which are the contacts, but guessing that the coil ones are on the left there's no neutral going to them so the relay will do nothing at all, even if it did it would only turn the lights on when the downstairs bathroom switch was on, and there would be no dimming. The dotted lines you have drawn don't represent anything that a relay does, and if the downstairs and upstairs lights are on different circuits you've now got both going to the same switch and JB, and if you got the relay to work you'd have a borrowed neutral at the light

I'm not saying this to put you down, but please get an electrician - you don't understand what you are doing...

I believe the relay is to control fans in other bathrooms hence why there is a switched live going to the WC downstairs, but this wont work as the lighting upstairs should be on a separate mcb to the downstairs. time for a re think maybe

Seem to have messed that up. If you click on the thumbnail you get it bigger....

on the hosting site there is a little radio button that says "thumbnail mode" yes / no.. if you change it to no, it alters the http / forum links to the full pic and not the thumbnail..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back