PIR sensor for bathroom fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a PIR sensor (ceiling mount type) and it's rated IP44. Can this be mounted in the ceiling above a shower tray to switch on/off the bathroom fan?... or would I need to find a higher rated sensor - IP67 or whatever.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, does the manufacturer say it is suitable for the environment - in a shower?
It is doubtful that they would even if it were.

Zone 1 extends to 2.25m from the floor level. Minimum IPX4 is required for zones 1 and 2 so, ok.

However, 240V switchgear is not allowed in zones 1 or 2.
If classed as current-using equipment then it may be installed in zone 2.

I shall leave others to decide if it is switchgear (although you don't have to touch it) or current-using equipment.

I suppose I could always install it outside the shower cubicle and blank off the sections of the "eye" that aren't looking at the shower.

If your intention is to detect when someone is using the shower, another option to consider is fitting a pipe thermostat on the hot water pipe to the shower.

Sponsored Links
It's an electric shower so there's only a cold feed to it.

Under no circumstances should you drill a hole in the side of the electric shower and connect a wire to the heating element, and use that to turn on the fan. :) Not even I would consider doing such a dangerous hack, even if my shower were RCD protected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back