IPx4

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to choose a light to go above my shower enclosure

Going by an online diagram, above a shower enclosure is zone 2 , which states the light needs to be IPx4 upwards

Now, i'm trying to find a light but can only find bathroom lights that are either IP44 or IP21

Does IPx4 = IP44 and IPx2 = IPx21 ?

So would I be right in saying a light with a IP44 rating is suitable for a zone 2 above a shower enclosure?

Hope someone can make sense of that :oops:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
IP44 meets the IPx4 requirement; the x is a wildcard signifying that there is no specific requirement for that number. :)

The first number is protection against ingress of solid objects, and the later, that of water (but if you protect against water, then you generally offer some protection against objects, so ratings such as IP04 don't exist in the real world!)

I assume your ceiling is at least 2.25m high?

Sponsored Links
I'm a bit confused about the zones thing ...

Will IP44 lights be OK for above my shower tray? Zone 1?

Why do people advertise IPX5 lights - surley they are still good for Zone 1 but good enough for Zone 0 ... so no better than IPx4?

:confused:

The IP rating system is designed to cover a whole range of electrical fittings, not just light fittings. The fittings may be for dometic, commercial or industrial applications.

There are applications for IPx5 light fittings. They may be appropriate for, say, a light fitting in a porch. it isn't necessarily anything to do with lighting in domestic bathrooms.

but if you protect against water, then you generally offer some protection against objects, so ratings such as IP04 don't exist in the real world!

It is possible that the protection against objects is higher than protection against liquid. A box with ventilation grills under an "umbrella" fixed to the box can be IP32 to prevent fingers, nails etc being pushed into the box that may be rained upon.

http://www.protectingpeople.co.uk/fire_tech/ip_explained.htm

Thanks banm-all-sheds (BTW: what have you got againts sheds?)

Sorry typo re . IPX5's
surley they are still good for Zone 1 but good enough for Zone 0
Should have read
surley they are still good for Zone 1 but not good enough for Zone 0

Its all a lot clearer now .... ordering my IP44's today!!

PS: Does anyone do a mains extractor shower fan that is IPx4?
My electrician told me I must get a 12v one?

Thanks banm-all-sheds (BTW: what have you got againts sheds?)
I mean this:

banfv7.jpg

not this:

nobanhd9.jpg

;)

PS: Does anyone do a mains extractor shower fan that is IPx4?
My electrician told me I must get a 12v one?
Which zone is it going in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back