Bathroom zone 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question..

At which point on a light fitting do you measure its height to the floor?

I have a light fitting outside the shower enclosure but within 600mm of it. It is fixed to the ceiling at 2.4m

The 3 adjustable spotlights on the light fitting are 2.2m from the floor when pointing downwards. Is the light fitting now in zone 2 and needs to be ip44? Or do you measure to the point where it is fixed to the ceiling?

It makes sense to fit an ip44 light, but do I HAVE to?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have a light fitting outside the shower enclosure but within 600mm of it. It is fixed to the ceiling at 2.4m .... The 3 adjustable spotlights on the light fitting are 2.2m from the floor when pointing downwards. Is the light fitting now in zone 2 and needs to be ip44? Or do you measure to the point where it is fixed to the ceiling?
Interesting question.

Although it's not the answer you want to hear, I can but presume that to be 'outside of zones' every part of 'the light' (or whatever) has to be outside of zones - otherwise one could have pendant lampholder dangling down to waist height within the shower cubicle so long as the rose it was dangling from was >2.25m above FFL!

Sorry :) (I suppose others might disagree with me!)

Kind Regards, John

No, I agree with you, I just can't see it conclusively written anywhere.

Sponsored Links
No, I agree with you, I just can't see it conclusively written anywhere.
It's not explicitly written, conclusively or otherwise, in BS7671. However, I suppose it's down to common sense. When BS7671 does say ....
Installed electrical equipment shall have at least the following degrees of protection: .... (ii) In zones 1 and 2: IPX4.
... it seems reasonable to assume that they meant if any of the installed equipment is "in" those zones. It would not be sensible (or, I would say, defensible) to take it to mean that it could be 'outside of zones' even though it had bits 'sticking into' a zone provided that it was only attached to the fabric of the building outside of zones - as per the one fairly extreme example I cited.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back