IPx4

Sponsored Links
rebuke - No wasnt aware :!:

The world has gone mad with bureaucracy!!!

I was going to get an electrician to the work to get a compliance certificate

A few years ago I would have done it myself ( a DIY'r) but having moved house last year I realise what
a nightmare it becomes when the solictor starts asking for the appropiate paperwork :(

BTW: Their is an existing light in there ... but yes this would be a new circuit.

If you're getting an electrician in, then assuming they're listed on www.competentperson.co.uk it will be fine, as they can self certify the work (you should get a completion certificate through from the LABC probably a month or two after the work is done)...

Note that if the lighting circuit is not currently RCD protected, the electrician will have to RCD protect the addition in some way (either by protecting the whole circuit at the CU, or by putting in e.g. an RCD unit outside the bathroom)

Didn't he say his ceiling is 2.5m high? And, under the 17th, isn't his light fitting therefore out of zones? And nobody has mentioned it needs to be RCD'd.

Liam

Sponsored Links
I have a spur already off a ring in my basement that the electrician did for me during some other building works. He said that would be OK for the bathroom, and had its own RCD

LiamPope: I don't think this was a pre-17th thread (first post Aug 16th 2009), but anyway Part P specifically refers to the 16th edition, so those are the zones that matter, not as defined in the 17th...

LiamPope: I don't think this was a pre-17th thread (first post Aug 16th 2009), but anyway Part P specifically refers to the 16th edition, so those are the zones that matter, not as defined in the 17th...

Eh? March 2008 according to my computer??

And as far as I understand, the 16th Ed. definition of zones still only 'matters' when defining what is and isn't notifiable work according to Part P. When actually carrying out work to BS7671 you'd use the latest definitions of zones to determine what can be fitted where, what IP ratings required, etc. Or what would be the point of the 17th Ed. zones definition actually existing :)??

Liam

Doh - the reply screen only shows you the last X posts, so what I thought was the first post wasn't - my mistake...

But yes, you're right that the 17th zones are what you use to decide what can go where, I thought you were trying to suggest it wasn't notifiable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back