What rating IPXX ELV DOWNLIGHT ABOVE A BATH

STI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read the regs and i still cant say i definitely understand the situation around this. The regs state that for mains luminaires to go in zone 2 they must be IPX4. When i read the section on SELV or PELV i think its saying as long as the main supply is behind an enclosure (In the loft in this case) then its ok to put this in zone 2 but what i cant find for sure is does it still need to be IPX4

The light position will be 2.25 mtrs plus above the floor and 1.5mtr plus away from the shower head but still within the footspace of the bath. It will not be 3mtr above the floor.

Normally i would use IP65 lights because they have the seal and they help prevent moisture entering the loft space. But in this case i am looking for a directional downlight and IP65 types dont fit the bill. IPX4 lights only seem to move the casing not the lamp when they are claiming to be tiltable. Again not whats wanted. The best rating i have found for the design required is IP20 available in LV and ELV hence my question.

Sponsored Links
You were asking, originally, about the IPX4 rating and Zone 2 with regard to SELV.

701.512.2 states equipment in zone 2 must be at least IPX4.
The ONLY exception is BS EN 61558-2-5 shaver sockets.
Then if exposed to water jets for cleaning IPX5.

Your reference to 701.414.4.5 further restricts your choice of equipment by stating it must be at least IP2X (IPXXB). It is not over-ridden by 701.512.2 but means that your equipment must be at least IP24 (or IP25)

This is relating to the luminaire. The safety source must be outside zone 2. Above the ceiling is obviously that and IP ratings would not be relevant.

Sponsored Links
..... The regs state that for mains luminaires to go in zone 2 they must be IPX4. .... The light position will be 2.25 mtrs plus above the floor and 1.5mtr plus away from the shower head but still within the footspace of the bath.
Am I missing something? If the light is "2.25 metres plus" above the floor, then it's not in any zone (even if it is above the bath), so no restrictions/regulations would apply.

Kind Regards, John.

Sorry for the confusion. My question put simply is can i use an IP20 rated luminaire that is ELV with the transformer and supply in the loft space, above a bath. It will be over 2.25 mtrs from the floor.

JohnW2 i thought the same as you but then i went to a couple of lighting sites where they show the zones differently to the big red book in so far that above the bath within the footspace of the bath zone 2 is extended by a further 75cm vertically, making the height restriction 3 mtrs.

JohnW2 i thought the same as you but then i went to a couple of lighting sites where they show the zones differently to the big red book in so far that above the bath within the footspace of the bath zone 2 is extended by a further 75cm vertically, making the height restriction 3 mtrs.
I don't think that 'lighting sites' over-ride BS7671. The red book, OSG and every other book I've seen which refers to 17th Ed. zones is clear in stating that the zones finish at 2.25m above finished floor level, everywhere in the room (including above bath). Even the diagrams in regs and OSG etc. show zones 1 and 2 terminating at 2.25m above a bath.

I've never heard of the 3m figure - which would be unachievable in most UK residential properties. I think the 'lighting sites' are probably wrong and am a little surprised that none of the other replies to you have raised this point.

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
Reactions: STI
Choose the fitting carefully if it is going directly above the bath.

Broken glass in the bath dis-appears when there is any water in the bath.

The amount of blood that comes from sitting on a shard of glass in hot water can be more than just a bit frightening. Makes a real mess on the floor as well when you get out to find the first aid kit or ( in many cases better ) call the ambulance to get all of the shard extracted safely in hospital.

( last week a paramedic friend had just that call )

• Thanks
Reactions: STI
Choose the fitting carefully if it is going directly above the bath.

Broken glass in the bath dis-appears when there is any water in the bath.

The amount of blood that comes from sitting on a shard of glass in hot water can be more than just a bit frightening. Makes a real mess on the floor as well when you get out to find the first aid kit or ( in many cases better ) call the ambulance to get all of the shard extracted safely in hospital.

( last week a paramedic friend had just that call )

Not a personal experience then ;)

Blimey - yet another reason not to use downlights.

How many do there have to be before people see sense?

Not a personal experience then ;)

No But I did as a first aider deal with glass in buttocks when some one sat on a wine glass. It isn't worth the risk of having un-protected glass over the bath. or over areas where food is being prepared.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back