What bathroom zone is this light fitting in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As title really, just wondering what bathroom zone this light fitting would be in?

998D7AEA-D996-4D22-8FB0-B24D6C14AB96.jpeg 13C5BD8C-4354-48DC-833B-AE5DF6D502C9.jpeg

Id say it’s less than 300mm from edge of shower.

Asking as my dad reckons its zone 2, and should be an IP44 light fitting. I say it’s no zone, as per this diagram:

1BB7200E-AEB6-46E1-B2B8-DF7AA2AC37C5.jpeg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Though how high is the ceiling.
The regs now seem a bit vague about zone 2 lighting but 701.512.2 states ipx4 for zone 2.
There used to be an exemption for skirted lampholders though.

Last edited:
Though how high is the ceiling
Is the key- the special zones stop level with the highest of either fixed shower head/water outlet or 2250 above floor level (which seems silly to me, would make more sense if it was 2250 above highest bit of shower tray/shallowest end of bath but there we go). That ceiling looks lowish to me.....

Sponsored Links
None of us can measure from a picture. If you get a tape measure out you can answer your own question.

Garm - just move house and stop fretting.

I would, but would rather the new owners don’t electrocute themselves and it falls on my shoulders.

This is the fitting that wasn’t fitted there when we bought the house from new. So am assuming it’s ok.

I would, but would rather the new owners don’t electrocute themselves
Desperately unlikely, they would have to remove the lamp and shove their fingers into the empty socket for that to happen.

and it falls on my shoulders.
Impossible.

For that to happen, it would have to be in a dangerous condition (it isn't), deliberately left in that dangerous state by you (you didn't) and for them to be injured by it through no fault of their own (they won't be), and subsequently prove all of that (they can't).

For information only it's most likely in zone 2, where a minimum of IPX4 is required, that fitting will easily meet that requirement.

I can remove the lamp from my bathroom pendant while standing in the bath, and then poke my fingers into the lampholder. My will to live however stops me from doing that. I can also spray it with the shower!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back