Bathroom Light Replace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my Bathroom light.

Currently, it's an "Eterna PACIFIC12 12W / 3100K IP44 LED Ceiling Fitting 200-240V / 50/60Hz / 25°C"

The light is situated in Zone 2.

I thought this would be simple and perhaps it is, I just want to ensure I'm not doing anything daft.

Have brought the following:
Bathroom Ceiling Light
60W MAX ES GLS
IP44
240V-50Hz

Bulb E27 LED 1055 Lumen (10.5W)
Equivalent wattage 75 W
Voltage 220-240 V

Unless I'm missing something the light is a suitable replacement and should be OK.

Was told the bulb was OK by shop assistant although am now questioning this. The light calls for a max of 60W and has heat-resistant sleeving for the wire. It seems to me that the 60W limit may be important because of the heat generated by the bulb. Is this a concern or am I over thinking this?

Sponsored Links
Your light is 10.5W - less than 60W.

Equivalent wattage means it gives out (roughly) the same light as 75W filament lamp - totally irrelevant to electrical considerations.

Thanks EFLimpudence,

Instructions say:
  • This light fitting should only be installed by a qualified electrician
  • Light fittings should be connected to 5 amp fused circuit
  • A 30mA RCD must be used
Am not the first and I assume that the second 2 are pretty much standard warnings. Also, assume am OK as the house and fuse box has recently (2 years ago) been sorted by a qualified electrician.

What's the best way to check the second 2 just to be sure?

Instructions say:
  • This light fitting should only be installed by a qualified electrician
  • Light fittings should be connected to 5 amp fused circuit
  • A 30mA RCD must be used
Am not the first and I assume that the second 2 are pretty much standard warnings. Also, assume am OK as the house and fuse box has recently (2 years ago) been sorted by a qualified electrician.

What's the best way to check the second 2 just to be sure?
1 and 3 just standard instructions regarding the latest regulations - nothing to do with the light itself.
2 just rubbish.

Yes if you had consumer unit (fuse box) fitted two years ago the light circuit will almost definitely be on a 6A MCB (dont use fuses any more so you can't fit the light - just joking but shows how daft the instructions are) and also there should be RCDs covering all the circuits.

One like this covering several circuits:
upload_2018-12-4_17-14-38.png

or one like this on each circuit:
upload_2018-12-4_17-16-45.png

Both have test buttons.

Sponsored Links
Hi EFLimpudence,

Thanks so much for your time and efforts with this, I will now get the light installed :D

Aghhh.

Connected it all up, pull the switch, and the bulb goes on (for under a second) and immediately off again, other lights OK.

Have checked the connections (they are push fit) all seems good to me.

Now it's not going on at all.

Any idea what this could be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back