Choosing the right led bulb.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been looking at replacement luminaries for the wall outside our French windows.
For the ones we like, the box says E27, 10 W led. The data sheet on the manufacturer's website says 60W max.
I presume the 60W limit is due to heat build up from an incandescent bulb within the enclosed (IP54) housing. If so, why can't I fit a 12W led as it wont get anything like as hot?

The same applies with lampshades. Some, understandably have a max bulb power for incandescent bulbs, but then put a low limit for less, even though they produce much less heat.

Please can someone throw some light on the subject (sorry for the awful pun)?

Sponsored Links
Once again manufacturers or the people who write for them getting it wrong.

Sponsored Links
I have been looking at replacement luminaries for the wall outside our French windows.
For the ones we like, the box says E27, 10 W led. The data sheet on the manufacturer's website says 60W max.
I presume the 60W limit is due to heat build up from an incandescent bulb within the enclosed (IP54) housing. If so, why can't I fit a 12W led as it wont get anything like as hot?

The same applies with lampshades. Some, understandably have a max bulb power for incandescent bulbs, but then put a low limit for less, even though they produce much less heat.

Please can someone throw some light on the subject (sorry for the awful pun)?
If you want to get the right answers you have to ask the right questions.

For the ones we like, the box says E27, 10 W led.
It is possible that what you mean is "The lamps which we would like to use in the existing fitting concerned are designated as "E27, 10 W led"
Of course E27 is the current description of a "Standard" Edison Screw (ES) lamp base - which is nominally 27 mm in diameter.
(The "equivalent" B22 "Bayonet" base is nominally 22 mm in diameter.)
The data sheet on the manufacturer's website says 60W max.
By this, it is possible that you mean "The data sheet on the manufacturer's website relating to the existing luminaries for the wall outside our French windows says 60W max."

The fittings concerned are all rated for the maximum possible "heat" which they can withstand.
30 years ago, point source lighting was only/mainly obtainable from incandescent lamps.
Now, after enduring a CFL phase, we have LED lamps which are at least 5 times more efficient in producing Light than were Incandescent lamps, which mainly produced heat.

Everyone must get used to specifying light output in Lumens - and not "Equivalent Watts", as seems to be prevalent in North America.

As a "bench mark", an efficient Incandescent 60W lamp might have produced about 800 Lumens.
However, a 800 Lumen LED should use only not more than 10 W, or (with increasing efficiency) less.

There can be arguments as to how light is distributed from the LED lamps concerned as opposed to the light distribution from incandescent lamps, but that is another story.

Last edited:
Leds do still get hot, its quite possible that a 10w led can generate enough heat to destroy its electronic components rather than the light fitting

If you want to get the right answers you have to ask the right questions.

It is possible that what you mean is "The lamps which we would like to use in the existing fitting concerned are designated as "E27, 10 W led"
Of course E27 is the current description of a "Standard" Edison Screw (ES) lamp base - which is nominally 27 mm in diameter.
(The "equivalent" B22 "Bayonet" base is nominally 22 mm in diameter.)

By this, it is possible that you mean "The data sheet on the manufacturer's website relating to the existing luminaries for the wall outside our French windows says 60W max."

The fittings concerned are all rated for the maximum possible "heat" which they can withstand.
30 years ago, point source lighting was only/mainly obtainable from incandescent lamps.
Now, after enduring a CFL phase, we have LED lamps which are at least 5 times more efficient in producing Light than were Incandescent lamps, which mainly produced heat.

Everyone must get used to specifying light output in Lumens - and not "Equivalent Watts", as seems to be prevalent in North America.

As a "bench mark", an efficient Incandescent 60W lamp might have produced about 800 Lumens.
However, a 800 Lumen LED should use only not more than 10 W, or (with increasing efficiency) less.

There can be arguments as to how light is distributed from the LED lamps concerned as opposed to the light distribution from incandescent lamps, but that is another story.

My concern is that I have to buy a bulb for the new luminaire. It has an E27 fitting, so I know I need a bulb with the appropriate Edison fitting. There are two sources of information about the bulb that I should buy. The manufacturer's website says '60W max'. The box that the luminaire came in says '10W led max'.
Even a 1300 lumen led bulb won't produce as much waste heat as a 60W incandescent bulb, will it?

The problem there is so much stuff coming from the far east that completely lies about lumens, and even more annoying, will lie about wattage too!

My concern is that I have to buy a bulb for the new luminaire. It has an E27 fitting, so I know I need a bulb with the appropriate Edison fitting. There are two sources of information about the bulb that I should buy. The manufacturer's website says '60W max'. The box that the luminaire came in says '10W led max'.
Even a 1300 lumen led bulb won't produce as much waste heat as a 60W incandescent bulb, will it?

How bright do you need it to be? Sometimes just a few watts from an LED bulb is enough to see your way. Maybe even look at dusk til dawn, or motion sensor bulbs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back