60W Candle Bulb in 40w plastic holder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom light bulb still uses incandescent type and was dead yesterday. Bathroom renovation is happening in January so I don't want to buy any expansive LED ones. My local electrical supply shop only has a 60w incandescent bulb in stock but the light fitting label says max 40w. The shop staff told me if it's a bathroom then it won't be used for long time so it's fine.

The longest time bathroom gets used would be less than 40min when taking bath. Is it really ok that I don't have to worry about causing fire?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
would be less than 40min when taking bath

Fitting a 60 watt lamp into a 40 watt fitting will almost certainly result in the fitting being overheated and then depending on the materisl used ( plastic. metal ) for the fitting the life of the fitting will be shortened and you may end up having to pay for a new fitting ( that will be more than the cost os a LED lamp )

Why won't you fit an energy-saving or LED lamp?

£2 at wilko
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-1-pack-bayonet-b22bc-led-810-lumens-standard-light-bulb/p/0478856

£3.50 at Wickes
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Sylvania-LED-GLS-Non-Dimmable-Frosted-Bulb---9W-B22-806lm/p/102550

GPID_1100486742_00

expensive my asre.

You can use it elsewhere in your house if the bathroom ceases to want it.

It will last ten times as long as an incandescent bulb and use a tenth the electricity.

Sponsored Links
Vicky,
The issue is that although it might be okay, no one can say "it is ok and you don't have to worry about causing a fire" because what you are suggesting could easily cause overheating of the fitting and lamp, even in 40min.

My budget suggestion is Poundland, my local store has a good range of LED lights including Candle Bulbs.

SFK

One time i had a lot of fun getting a 100w bulb out of a small enclosed fitting designed for 25w. It seemed the solder on the pads of the contacts had melted and the sprung pins were embedded in it, meaning there was no way to twist the bayonet bulb out.
I agree with the above posts about led bulbs being the best idea.

Thanks everyone. The bathroom fitting uses 2 small edison screw candle shape light bulbs. The fitting doesn’t have enough space for any other shape/size light bulb. (I tried with my desk lamp bulb that uses SES bulb and it wouldn’t fit).

The shop I went to has the 60w incadecent candle bulb for 70p or LED one for £5.

The whole fitting will be replaced with downright come January. I will go to Poundland and see if I can find anything suitable. Looks like my local shop isn’t always that trustworthy.

goto a B&M and get energizer candles 40W. around £5 for 2

otherwise a 60W is likely to melt the fitting

I got some SES LED candles at Aldi, they go in my cooker hood, replacing halogens. Brighter and much cooler.

I agree with Poundland , £2 will get you 2 40w ses candles (go for cool white in a bathroom much cleaner crisper light than old incandescent bulbs)

Will seem brighter than your old bulbs , saves money, saves you worrying about your fitting overheating and you can always use the bulbs elsewhere when you change the fitting

I agree with Poundland , £2 will get you 2 40w ses candles (go for cool white in a bathroom much cleaner crisper light than old incandescent bulbs)

Will seem brighter than your old bulbs , saves money, saves you worrying about your fitting overheating and you can always use the bulbs elsewhere when you change the fitting

That 'temperature' may make the place feel colder than hell after the fire's gone out

Thanks everyone, Tried Aldi on the way to work twice but still out of stock, finally took a detour to poundland and sorted now. It's a very bright bulb indeed!

Thanks for the update - always great to hear the outcome - and useful for others.
SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back