Golf ball bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Wondering if anyone could help me

I use Golf ball light bulbs 40W for my hallway, However I was told LED ones are better.

How they seem to vary in price, plus I don't know what wattage to use as you can choose between 2-15?

the light is max 40W so what wattage would I need to have it the brightest possible?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have a look at filament LED lamps. I'm currently trialling one at home and so far it's been brilliant. I'm using an 8.5W lamp and I can't tell the difference from an old style 60W incandescent lamp. I paid £15.60 for it at my local wholesalers but I'm sure they'll come down in price soon like all new technology does.

The only issue is that they are not (yet) dimmable.

If your current incandescant bulbs are about the right brightness, divide the wattage by 4 or 5 for the wattage of equivalent brightness of led or cfl lamps.

There are some brighter led s trickling onto the market but that will do for a rule of thumb.

Many people complain that energy saving lamps are not bright enough when they try to go too low in wattage.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Wondering if anyone could help me

I use Golf ball light bulbs 40W for my hallway, However I was told LED ones are better.

How they seem to vary in price, plus I don't know what wattage to use as you can choose between 2-15?

the light is max 40W so what wattage would I need to have it the brightest possible?

Thanks

Obviously the brightest possible is the largest wattage, 15w.
That would be very bright though, equavelant to around 150w incandessant.

Asda were doing a good deal on golf ball LEDs recently.

Have a look at filament LED lamps.
Wotz dat?
Similar to this:
http://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-bulbs/b22-led-bulbs/4-watt-b22-led-golf-ball-bulb.html[/QUOTE]
Thanks. Do I take it that those 'filaments' are just strings of LED elements? Apart from issues of aesthetics/nostalgia, do they offer any advantage over more conventional LED lamps? How does the light output compare, watt-for-watt, with standard LEDs?

Kind Regards, John

Yes they're just strings of tiny LEDs

I'm not sure if they offer any increased efficiency, but the thing I really like is the output is 360 degrees and as a result they're indistinguishable from a traditional lamp.

Some of the other led lamps designed to mimic the shape of a traditional lamp throw all the straight down leaving ceilings looking dark.

Yes they're just strings of tiny LEDs ... I'm not sure if they offer any increased efficiency, but the thing I really like is the output is 360 degrees and as a result they're indistinguishable from a traditional lamp. ... Some of the other led lamps designed to mimic the shape of a traditional lamp throw all the straight down leaving ceilings looking dark.
Thanks. That all makes sense. It will be interesting to see if they 'catch on' (and thence, once would assume/hope, get a lot cheaper).

Kind Regards, John

Obviously the brightest possible is the largest wattage, 15w.
That would be very bright though, equavelant to around 150w incandessant.
I don't believe that is correct. What is the lumens output of these 15W lamps you have in mind?

the thing I really like is the output is 360 degrees and as a result they're indistinguishable from a traditional lamp.

Some of the other led lamps designed to mimic the shape of a traditional lamp throw all the straight down leaving ceilings looking dark.
:LOL:

Am I missing the joke?
I suspect that you 'walked into this one', by saying that "Some of the other led lamps designed to mimic the shape of a traditional lamp throw all the straight down leaving ceilings looking dark" - which BAS probably regards as supporting his views about 'downlights' :)

Kind Regards, John

Oh I see. The trouble with trying to light a room with only one light is that you need to try and bounce it off the ceiling to light the whole room. Of course down lighters don't suffer this problem as you've got light everywhere you want it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back