Low energy bulb in bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a bathroom light that takes a "normal" ES 60W bulb, can I replace it with a low energy bulb?

Will the constant switching on-off reduce the lifetime? Will it warm up it time?

Sponsored Links
Just a warning though - Most low energy bulbs are not suitable for humid environments as condensation on the PCB can start off an arc which will destroy it.

Just a warning though - Most low energy bulbs are not suitable for humid environments as condensation on the PCB can start off an arc which will destroy it.

have you seen evidence of this in a CFL in a bathroom?

I haven't.

Sponsored Links
Had one in my bathroom for over 2 years before we moved out

Now I need some GU10 CFL's

I've had one in my bathroom for 12 years and not failed.

have you seen evidence of this in a CFL in a bathroom?

I haven't.

We had one which failed in this way when I turned the light on after someone had just had a shower. It just completely filled the room with white (presumably toxic) smoke. I only noticed the warning when I purchased a replacement which said not recommended for outside or humid environments.

There are several energy saving lamps that explicitly state that they are suitable for outdoor and humid environments, so it must be an issue otherwise they wouldn't have started selling these.

B&Q have got some outdoor low energy bulbs but they start from about £15.00, compared with 50p for a GLS bulb. Doesn't sound like much of an option.

Whats everyone gonna to do in a couple of years when they stop selling the GLS bulbs?

Andy, I wouldn't worry too much - by the sounds of things, I'm an unlucky minority, so go ahead and use a standard low energy lamp.

I suspect you had a cheap'n'nasty CFL, and the manufacturer decided to warn against using them in humid locations rather than improve the product.

AFAIK, the issue with outside use is low operating temperatures - outside a lamp should not get wet enough for it to be affected.

And as for bathrooms - if they get steamy enough to genuinely affect a lamp then they need an extractor fan!

Whats everyone gonna to do in a couple of years when they stop selling the GLS bulbs?

Stock up on GLS lamps, or buy them off eBay. I'm not going to be forced into using low energy lamps just because 'the man' says I'm not allowed good ol' filament lamps any more.

Not that I have anything against low energy CFLs, I'm just waiting for LED lamps that are warm and bright enough to replace filament lamps.

perhaps I should set aside a bay of my warehouse for black-market GLS bulbs. How much will you pay once they become legally unobtainable?

perhaps I should set aside a bay of my warehouse for black-market GLS bulbs. How much will you pay once they become legally unobtainable?

If my own stockpile-to-be runs dry then I'd happily pay double the current going rate. Sounds like you could have a sideline business going there...

Low Energy lamp in bathroom.

I have them in my bathroom for around one year now (room has extractor fan though :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ), without any noticeable effect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back