Using GU10 bulbs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some 50W GU10 bulbs in the kitchen that I want to replace with low energy versions. The bulbs get switched on-off rapidly a lot, is it worth putting in low energy bulbs? Will they warm up time? Will they last long if used in this way?

Sponsored Links
You might learn to not turn them off so readily - i.e. if you know you're going to be going back in soon, then as they cost so little to run it might be preferable to leave them on.

Check with the makers re shortened life, but AFAIK they've virtually eliminated that problem.

The warm up time is pretty short these days - a few seconds, and it can be quite soothing to not have them zap on to full intensity immediately.

Check that they will fit OK though - many (all?) GU10 CFLs are longer than the incandescent ones, and can protrude.

Check that they will fit OK though - many (all?) GU10 CFLs are longer than the incandescent ones, and can protrude.

7W CFL's are the same size as a standard GU10 halogen lamp.
9W and 11W are longer and will require open back fittings without fixed lampholders.
Some firerated fittings have longer cans and loose lampholders which suit either halogen GU10's or 7, 9 or 11W CFL's.

The warm up time is pretty short these days - a few seconds, and it can be quite soothing to not have them zap on to full intensity immediately.
apart from on 'general electric' ones, just to get my personal gripe in as i have been most disappointed by their bulbs, (and my sister has the same problem on hers so not an isolated incidence), they are unusabley dim when you turn them on and take more than a few seconds to get up to a decent output. on contrast all other makes i have had are great, any dimness when turned on isnt really noticeable.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget you can get LED GU10s as well, I've got some, they are no where near as bright, but at 1.8w you don't worry about leaving them on!!
-Dan

I replaced ten 50w halogen GU10s with 11w Megaman cfls. They are certainly bright enough, but only after they have warmed up. I had to put some of the halogens back in due to the very poor light from the cfls when cold and their slow warm up time.

It's a stark contrast to the performance of some full size cfls I have which are instantly bright.

7W CFL's are the same size as a standard GU10 halogen lamp.

Can you specify a make which are the same size as standard halogens Gary? We've bought several different makes of 7W CFLs and some are almost the same size but i'm yet to find one that isn't a little bit longer?

We've replaced all the halogens in our office (63 lamps in total) with energy saving 7w GU10 bulbs and the warm up time is only a few seconds (although we don't switch them off during the day). I would recommend replacing them, depending on how many you've got you'll notice the saving in energy costs - especially with high elec costs at the moment (and with all those extra fairy lights you've no doubt got up at the moment you'll need to cut down elsewhere!) With a bit of developement i think LEDs will be the way to go but at the moment even the ultra bright ones are good enough for your main room lighting (unless you're wanting a subdued lighting effect) but as Toasty said, 1.8W - how can you go wrong!?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back