Rating of "low energy" bulbs versus the lamp shade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a lamp shade for use on a ceiling pendant. The label on the wrapping for the lamp shade stated it is rated at 60W for a conventional incandescent light bulb, or 11W for a low energy "60W equivalent".

The room is a little on the large side for a single pendant but up until now I have used a 100W bulb in a suitable shade and its been light enough.

I know that low energy bulbs can still run pretty hot, but my question is why can I only use an 11W low energy bulb in this shade? I would really like to use a 20W low energy bulb as this would be bright enought. Naively, and subjectively, I would have thought that these low energy bulbs would be bright but cooler than the incandescent and therefore not as much of a fire risk?

Thanks in advance for any explanations offered :)

Fleabag.

Sponsored Links
If the lamp is rated for a bulb that dissipates energy at a rate of 60W I can conceive of not reason that you cannot use one that only dissipates 20W! It's the heating effect we are concerned with and 20W is only 1/3 of 60W for the greater light output,

The 11W=60W is only a way of showing the efficiency and comparing the light output.

I suspect that the manufacturer just hasn't thought about it and is taking the easy option, and probably knows SFA about basic physics/thermodynamics

as an aside do not belive the manufacturers claims if you expect the low energy bulbs to be 5 to 5.5 times there value you will be dissapointed go for 4 times then they wont be too dim

so an 11w would = 44w

and a 20w would = 80w

as for the heat issue it is less but more concentrated and in the plastic base

if the shade is like an upturned bowl without any gaps the i would be carefull off exceding the limits
if there is some gaps to let the air flow then i would say up to 50% more would be equivilent to a 60w bulb so 16w would be the maximum
if theres a decent gap then i would definatly risk 20w but check every 15 mins for the first hour then 2x30 mins in the next hour

Sponsored Links
Just FYI, I have a 20 watt lamp in my landing pendant with a shade rated for 60w. When its been running for several hours, I can wrap my hand around the lamp, still on, with no ill effect. ;)

They run "very warm", not hot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back