Max rating using low energy bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of table lamps that have a max rating of 60w (standard bulb). If i replace the standard bulbs with low energy ones can i only go up to an 11w (equivalent to 60w) or can i also use a 20w (equivalent to 100w).

Are light fittings rated on the max direct wattage power used or the amount of light heat they emit?

Sponsored Links
Are light fittings rated on the max direct wattage power used or the amount of light heat they emit?

On the max direct wattage power used (in your terms). So you could put a bigger one in.

For a GLS lamp type, table lamp, the wattage is usually limited by the type of shade used, in regards to the heat and depending whether the lamp is upwards or downwards,the cable.

The only other reason for limiting the lamp wattage would be where the maximum wattage is limited by the max rating of a transformer, dimmer,switch or similar.

There used to be T1 and T2 lampholders, one of which was lower temperature rating, but now AFAIK all basic ones are now all one rating, the higher one.

EDIT
some switched lampholders are still T1 rated at 60 watts

I would say as long as the heat output of your 20 watt low energy lamp, is lower than a 60watt normal lamp ( most likely ) and not via a dimmer it would be ok.

An energy saver lamp rated at 20 watts is fine and safe for a 60watt max lamp,
...however if it is to look nice, check it fits inside the shade, and does not poke out of the top of it etc. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back