Energy saving light bulbs - wattage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing all of our light bulbs with energy saving bulbs. Some of the lamps say 'maximum 25w', but can I use an 11w energy saving equivalent (which would give me 60w) ?

Same applies with light shades - some have a maximum limit but can I go higher with energy saving bulbs ?

I am assuming that the wattage relates to how much heat is given out by the bulb - so does a lower wattage energy saving bulb mean it will be cooler therefore I can have more light ?

Cheers.

Gorby :confused:

Sponsored Links
Yes.

In fact, you can go higher than the wattage specified by the light fitting, as CFLs are more efficient - i.e. a 25W CFL will not put out anywhere near as much heat as a 25W incandescent.

A few tips to note:

1) Take the manufacturers claims of equivalent light output with a pinch of salt.

2) CFLs can be heavy - with pendant fittings check that the flex cores are properly wound round the strain reliefs in the rose.

3) You can't use dimmers unless the lamp instructions explicitly say so.

4) With 2-way switching you might get the lamp slowly and faintly flashing when it's off.

yep as bas says the out put claims are at least inaccutate

easyest way multiply by 4 so 9w=36 11=44w 15=60w 20=80w then you wont be dissapointed ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back