Bathroom Paint and Poor Ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening

I have a bad condensation issue in the bathroom - soon to be improved with a new window and extractor.

However I have an issue with the paint peeling off to the plaster on the ceiling and exposed walls that aren't tiled.

Obviously there is a slight difference in level. So when I repaint it will look odd.

Excuse the pic! But that's what happens...

full

Is the only way to get a neat finish taking off all paint back to the plaster?

I thought about feathering the edges with sandpaper but not sure that would be good enough

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You certainly have a damp problem, but my guess is that the ceiling was never primed.

Possibly it did start to peel off as soon as I cleaned of the black damp areas.

That area of ceiling is directly above a very hot shower that is used up to four times a day.

I intend to use dulux bathroom paint when I do it and a base coat - just watered down emulsion.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
In your position I would be suspect as to the stability of the remaining paint, and it would probably be a noticeable height difference with a silk paint - I'd strip it back if at all possible.

Regarding your repaint, I've not used Dulux's bathroom range, but I have used Zinnser permawhite - and it's excellent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back