Bathroom Pipe Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just done a complete refurb on my bathroom. Before I started the pipes to the Bath and Basin units were all copper and there was earth bonding wires between the hot & cold pipes on bath and likewise the sink. I have moved the bath and sink to different positions and used Plastic pipe instead of copper to below floor level, where the plastic pipes join onto the original copper feed pipes, so no bonding. Is this ok, or do the copper feed pipes need to be bonded again below the floor ?
Thks Mark

Sponsored Links
You have missed out vital information, is the whole of bathroom electrics protected by RCD? However in the main short lengths of metallic piping installed for ascetics when feed with plastic do not need bonding.

The main problem it metallic pipes is they can gain a different polarity due to fails around the house to other metalwork, standard light falls on a radiator in the living room making it live, in the living room not too much a problem as you can see it, but if that fault is transmitted by pipes to another room then there is a big problem so we did bond all pipes to earth, however if you get hold of a live wire, unless you also get hold of something of a different polarity no current will flow, see birds on electric cables, actually not quite that simple because of our mass, however earthing for earthing sake can actually make things worse not better.

So around a meter of plastic pipe is enough to isolate, so likely better if not bonded, however the second thing bonding does is ensure a fuse will rupture before we touch a live wire, so it removes the risk before we can touch anything live, so without bonding the faulty item may not disconnect, so in 2008 the rules changed and no bonding is required in the bath room and all power to bathroom must be RCD protected including the light, only item not RCD protected is the shaver outlet with is a IT supply.

and used Plastic pipe instead of copper to below floor level, where the plastic pipes join onto the original copper feed pipes, so no bonding. Is this ok, or do the copper feed pipes need to be bonded again below the floor ?
If you cannot touch the copper while in the room then no bonding is required.

The main problem it metallic pipes is they can gain a different polarity
I think you mean potential and again later in the text.

however the second thing bonding does is ensure a fuse will rupture before we touch a live wire, so it removes the risk before we can touch anything live, so without bonding the faulty item may not disconnect,
That is NOT the purpose of bonding.

If fuses will not rupture without bonding then the installation Earthing is unsatisfactory.

Sponsored Links
Yep potential darned tablet keeps correcting words, missed that one. I am uneasy telling anyone bonding is not required, I have seen where the plastic piping was only around 1/8th inch separation which is not really enough, i.e. plastic bends on copper pipe, if one is on site easy, but with a forum too easy to miss something.

However wired to 17th then no bonding required in bathroom.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply's
I guess there's no bonding required then. The house is fitted with 2 old Wylex CU's retro fitted with MCB's and there is no RCD protection
This is something I hope to address when finances allow
Thks Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back