Bathroom Plasterboard and Aquapanle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
First time on here.

I am currently doing up my bathroom and have removed all the old tiles.

3 walls are brick and 1 wall is stud. I intend to cover the brick walls with plasterboard and cover the stud with Aqua panel as this is where the shower will be.

Questions:

1) Do I need to tank, Aquapanel (heard various things some say yes, some say no)

2) I will be using plasterboard tape on the new plasterbaord I fit, the plasterbaord will be butted tights and it is squared edged not tapered. I have read you have to seal the tape with joint filler. Will this not give a raised surface where it should be smooth for tiling?

3) Same as above but for Aquapanle joining (using Aquapanel tape) what type of filler is needed (is it the same as normal joint filler?) and will this not leave a rasied section.

4) Finally, I also read that for Hardi backer a PVC membrane should be fitted on the stud wall, is this required? is this needed for Aquapanle?

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Sponsored Links
1 Tanking the AP will give a bomb proof job so its the best option

2 Just put mesh tape onto the PB joints then tile straight over the board no need to fill.

3 Use powdered tile adhesive to skim over the joint tape and fill screw holes, if applying tanking then skim all the AP with the adhesive before tanking, use AP tape as it is not attacked by the tile adhesive. Any slight raised areas will be lost in the depth of tile adhesive.

4 Hardies do say to fit a DPM behind the backer board to stop any water that soaks through from affecting the timber studs, if you tank this will not be required. I always use AP and tank.

Here is all you need to know about hardibacker if you go for that

http://www.jameshardie.co.uk/pages.php?pages=resources&subpage=photos&filter=hbacker#p62

Jason

Sponsored Links
just to say ..

in a bal tanking kit ...
you get the bonding tape... necessary gear

Dont Forgo using the tanking tape ,as its a MUST
even after you have done as jase said sealing joints with plaster boards tape ...
you MUST use the Tanking tape ..OK
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back