Bathroom products and brands - The Good and the Bad

Sponsored Links
Heres my 2p worth. You do tend to get what you pay for with bathrooms.

Lada's nay Trabants of the bathroom suites are anything made in China. Theres a load of places setting up and selling this crap right now. Avoid them like the plague Here is an example of a local firm peddling the same sort of trash. My experiences with this particular firm are worse than what you see in that link and I now refuse to fit any of their products.

Fairing slightly better and comparable with Hyundai's/ Protons are B&Q /Wickes stuff. This crap often emanates from Turkey. Sometimes you get a good one but generally you don't.

Ford Mondeos are Ideal Standard, Armitage Shanks, usually of fairly decent quality with easily available spares.
You will get a problem here and there but generally this stuff is of merchantable quality.

I came across one make of Rolls Royce quality a few years back and the name was Jacob Delafon. There are other decent ones in this category but I cant remember the names. This one stuck in my mind because everything was spot on and had a good positive feel to it.

Someone mentioned Grohe earlier. I fitted a Grohe shower recently and found it to be of good quality although the one I fitted was a bit of a 'Rubiks cube'

I'm not a plumber but can I add my 2p worth, too? Someone mentioned Bette baths and I had one of those for 12 years. Now I've moved, I'd buy another. One great thing about Bettes is that you can ask for one or more edges to have an upstand (like a shower tray). This means that you can tile right down over the upstand so if your sealant ever fails, you don't get water behind the bath - v.useful if your shower is over the bath.

Again, when you're buying a loo, check that the seat fits securely. I had a lovely European model but the seat was forever slipping sideways. By comparison, my Ideal Standard Space model has never had a problem.

Sponsored Links
Londoner said:
Anyone tried Trevi showers?
In abundance.

I'd still rate Aqualisa over Trevi, and Hans Grohe over both.

ive been crunchin on the same bog for several years and its only a cheap mfi shell suit toilet, even wash's the arris after each plop. hows that for a recomendation, i give it a thumbs up :D :D :D :D :D

I'd go in this order for taps (i've fitted a few!):

1. Friedrich Grohe (commonly known as Grohe)
2. HansGrohe
3. Bristan

trevi is utter junk IMO. I'd never buy any of their products.

sanj.varah said:
trevi is utter junk IMO. I'd never buy any of their products.
Never say never. ;)

For example, what if you had no alternative to fitting a venturi shower valve - do the Grohe brothers make such a thing?

Has anyone tried Merlyn shower products? Seems like a slightly cheaper alternative to the pricey Daryl range (which we had been considering).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back