My guide to Buying and best products for D.I.Y. Plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having worked in the plumbing and heating merchant industry for the past 25 years i would like to pass on my experience on what i think is the best products. I also will give you a few tips on where and how to buy these products...

Buying cheap can be a disaster, i get people in every day with products bought at sheds that don't fit, or need other parts to make them work...

Use local merchants, you will usually get a better product and staff with more knowledge...

Merchants prefer trade business, but will not turn away cash...

If you are doing a large job list out all the materials and ask a couple of local merchants for their best price. They will probably give you a good trade price.

The following are the products i would recommend :

Boilers :

Avoid cheap brands. I know a guy who fits Biasi, he calls them his disposable range. The following brands all have a proven track record and are backed up with service engineers in most large towns.

Alpha - Their new range fitted with a jig will give you a 5year no quibble warranty...

Worcester - More expensive, but german engineering and very reliable...(What i have in my own house)

Vokera - Cheaper option, had problems in past but new boilers seem very good...

Radiators :

Purmo/Myson/Stelrad or Quinn - Not much between these makes, quinn is what i sell most of now. Mainly due to a more forgiving bracket system and higher outputs on doubles, meaning smaller rads and a cost saving...

Heating Controls :

Danfoss/Grundfos/Honeywell/ACL - All quality brands...

Bathrooms :

Stick to well known brands - Twyfords, Ideal Standard, Armitage Shanks - If anything goes wrong in the future you are more likely to be able to get replacement products.

Showers :

You just cant beat Mira, in the past they have been very expensive but have came out with fantastic new affordable ranges... Spares will never be a problem either... Grohe are also very good and are very reliable.

Shower Enclosures :

I always say you get what you pay for with enclosures. I currently sell Manhattan mainly. Thay cover all ranges with there M1, M2 AND M3 enclosures. Roman are also very good. For top range you cant beat Showerlux, Matki and Daryl...

Brassware :

Again stick to well known brands - Bristan, Deva, Ideal etc, and remember to keep a note of what make and model they are incase you need replacement parts in the future... If the ceramic disks go on a cheaper unknown brand mixer you will probably end up having to change the whole mixer...

Plastic plumbing systems :

There are many on the market but I would recommend Hep2o, it has been on the market the longest and they have learned by their mistakes.

I hope the above info is of interest, if anyone thinks of anything else they would like covered please leave a reply...

Sponsored Links
now now jamie
devil-0060.gif

Mira is best. When my sport's flow valve spilt due to high main pressure, I rang up mira and explained, they sent me another for free :eek: cos I found out that the max pressure for sport was 10 bar and my local pressure was 6.5 bar, weird?? :LOL:

Dan

Sponsored Links
yes.....can you tell us if DIY gas is legal....thx ;) :eek: :LOL:

Is it Illegal..?? Dont think i have ever heard of anyone being charged with doing DIY gas.. Likewise i have never heard of a non-Corgi registered plumber being charged either, unless something has gone wrong. Personally i wish i could only sell gas appliances to registered installers, but will that ever happen.
I wouldn't touch anything to do with gas myself, i would always hunt down a corgi registered installer.

Good post Saltire.

If you can add more info to it, it might be a helpful post in the FAQs. :D

Purmo/Myson/Stelrad or Quinn - Not much between these makes, quinn is what i sell most of now. Mainly due to a more forgiving bracket system and higher outputs on doubles, meaning smaller rads and a cost saving...

Where do you sell Quinn radiators? I've been pretty happy with Purmos which I get through PTS. I go for myson roundtops if the client is looking for styling.

Where do you sell Quinn radiators? I've been pretty happy with Purmos which I get through PTS. I go for myson roundtops if the client is looking for styling.

Quinn are the old Barlo, but with a huge cash injection and a new purpose built manufacturing plant in Wales... Its quite impressive. The quality has improved dramatically as well... PTS are one of their national outlets... The quinn 3in1 compact can be fitted as a compact, or with the grills off as a seam top or if you turn it upside down it becomes a round top... :)

The quinn 3in1 compact can be fitted as a compact, or with the grills off as a seam top or if you turn it upside down it becomes a round top... :)

That definitely sounds interesting. The only snag is my local PTS does carry stock of Purmos and hopefully the ones I ask for don't have dings on them. ;) I think the other one they carry are the Mysons so unlikely that they would have the space to stock another brand. My guess is that they would do it as a special order which is ok if you have time to pick rads with a couple of weeks to a job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back