Dragon Alfa Portland cement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used this brand of cement? Was offered this by my local builders merchants today when I went to buy the bricks and blocks for my extension. Slightly put off as I have never heard of it before and from the name thought it might be an inferior product. A quick google search suggests that the company behind it is a uk based cement importer with the OPC having a strength rating of 42.5r. No information on how this product fares compared to the more well known brands.

Anyone who has used this product care to share their experiences please? Or should I steer clear and go with a known brand like blue circle or Quinn's?

Thank you!

I should add I have been offered this at £3.50 a bag.

Sponsored Links
If it really is 42.5 then it's stronger than the normal bags you get as it contains less fly ash/ fillers. So you can use less!!!!??!!

I am sure it'll be alright just tell your BM if it's crap you'll send it back.

Thank you guys. Think I'll give them a go. I'll let you know what my brickie thinks of it!

Sponsored Links
With a name like that it sounds Chinese? Yet would it be worth exporting cheap heavy stuff from that far away?

Unless one wants to use Sovereign waterproofer which data sheet states a cem 1 cement should be used.
Has anyone found a readily availabe cem1 cement?
litl
http://www.sovchem.co.uk/media/media/PDF/Tech_Datasheets/Waterproofer_TDS_24_V3.pdf

My comment was a bit glib, but for general use, any old cement from the merchant will do.

A few years back, ordinary common cement (OPC) was CEM1, but with the current sustainability push, CEM2 is now the new common OPC as it's got more unburnt limestone, replacing clinker - thus less processing and energy use.

There is little difference for the average extension use - some minor early strength and plastic shrinkage IIRC and some others, but it's a technical difference rather than a practical one.

Blue Circle Procem is a CEM1 product.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back