Repointing with a cement lime mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I wonder if anyone would be good enough to advise please.

We have a 1928 house where the brickwork needs repointing. I have heard that using a lime cement mix is better for environmental reasons.

I suggested to our builder that he use this Blue Circle product, but he is reluctant saying it is only for older properties. Is this right? There is nothing in the product advertising or reviews to suggest this is the case.Many thanks

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Blue-Circle...43364522812|&gclid=CKPXkrC8ucQCFesBwwodUz4AAA

Sponsored Links
You would only use lime mortar if the existing mortar is lime. I'm not sure what you are referring to in terms of "better for the environment" - you need to use what is suitable for your house.

That product contains lime merely as a plasticiser ( to aid workability) and it sets rock hard like any cement mix. It is not a lime mortar and the builder is not quite correct, in that the product can be used on any property, although it may dry a lighter colour than just cement mortar.

The benefits of lime as a construction material only exist when used as part of a wider design and in combination with other materials and construction methods. You get no benefit of repointing in lime mortar. And you should only repoint in the same type of mortar as what is there now.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back