Rendering Repairs - ordinary cement or quick-drying?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to patch-repair some blown rendering on a garage, and assume that the best mix would be 5-6 parts Plastering Sand to 1 part Cement and 1 part waterproof PVA (unless anyone suggests a better mix?)

Given that the weather in the next few days should be quite warm, which cement would be better to use - ordinary (Mastercrete) or an extra-rapid cement?

Quantities involved are relatively small (based on an Artex repair kit of 5kg covering a 400 mm radius circle, which I make about 0.12 m2, I should need about five times that quantity, so 1 X 25 kg bag of sand and 4kg to 5kg each of PVA and cement.)

This means that cement cost is not a big factor (under £2 difference for 10kg) when compared with getting the job done well, and done easily.

Complications of the job are access and plants - there are plants growing up on trellis by the wall, which will have to be held back.

Any (relevant) hints & tips would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Remove any loose render, give the area you are going to patch a coat of PVA/water 1/5 on the first coat then 1/3 on the next coat, do not use B&Q PVA for this as it has already been watered down to about 1/100 completely useless and waste of time and money, there are a number of good makes such as Cementone and SBR.

You are now ready to mix the sand/cement 4/1 and I recommend Sovereign waterproofer, it also acts as a plasticiser, an MT tin full to a builders bucket of water, something like 1/30, go for two coats, a scratch coat then another to finish it off, in this heat it is easy to do both in a day but not crucial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back