Issue with cement mix, it wont dry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, two days ago I mixed cement with sand to fill some space on the floor approx 1 x 0.2 meter and approx 1.5 inch in depth

The area was very small. I know people say mix 3 part sand with 1 part cement. I preferred 1 part cement to just under 2 part sand however two days have done by and it hasnt dried.

I was so happy when i did it as when i was flattening it out it looked beautiful, very straight and smooth once troweled over.

Today when i realised it was a little wettish, I thought idcheck it out in one corner and it feels very soft ish which is obvious as its wet but worst of all it seems very grainy as if it has too much sand in it.

Is it normal to not dry in two days baring in mind this part im filling is inside and not outdoors and is in a dry area.

Some help guys

Sponsored Links
Seems normal. And unless you troweled it all smooth and raised some cement to harden the surface, then you will get seemingly loose grainy bits

Setting and drying are different. It will take about a week to dry completely in ideal conditions

Haha thanks for the replies guys, problem is some silly monkey managed to put his foot in it lightly and messed the nice finished i had managed. But what i realised was the properties of the cement were more like when you mix sand with water. Of course not as loose as that but it seriously does not seem as though it would dry rock solid. Seems to me as though it will dry and be very brittle.

I dont know, maybe im over fretting but i would have thought that after two days, three including today it would have been a tad more solid than it is. I mean if you poke your finger in it now, it will go through and do remember its only around 1-1.5 inch in thickness

Sponsored Links
maybe the cement had gone off in the bag, where was it from the back of the shed (out there months ago)
Would have been better to use grano as well as mortar of that thickness will likely crack

John some may find that amusing but in all honesty thats what i was thinking lol

NS215, the cement is around 2 months old but was well sealed at the top and kept in the room i have been working in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back