Bathroom pull switch / light wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!
So I've taken off the old bathroom spotlight which was connected to the black, blue & earth wires. That's the first image. The red wires in a block were tucked away in the wall and not connected. That's the second image.
Can anyone explain what the wires I've got are doing and how best to wire up for new light fitting?

The new light fitting is a Astro Aqua single spot which is ip44 and double insulated. That's the third image.

Any help much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20231019_092346.jpg
    20231019_092346.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 20231019_092432.jpg
    20231019_092432.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 20231019_092614.jpg
    20231019_092614.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 52
Sponsored Links
Your new light has two wires to make it work. Connect one to the black with the blue tape. Connect the other to the three blacks. .

Your new light is what is called “double insulated” . It has no earth and relies on there being no exposed live wires inside the ceiling cover.

Strictly speaking, you should pull all the existing connections into the loft. They should be enclosed in a proper terminal box.

Last edited:
So in this case, the existing blue wire with black tape is live? That is known as a hot wire? And exisiting black wires are neutral?
And using a terminal box rather than several terminal blocks is safety?
Thanks for taking the time.

Sponsored Links
So in this case, the existing blue wire with black tape is live?
Its a black wire ,with blue tape. It should really have a piece of red sleeving ( or brown) to denote it is a line conductor not a neutral.
As said above ,those terminal blocks shouldn't be just shoved up into the ceiling . The connections should be made in a suitable junction box ,and a length of flex run from the junction box to the light fitting/ it's terminal block.

So in this case, the existing blue wire with black tape is live?
Its is the SWITCHED LIVE. So it is only live when the switch is turned ON. As above, it should really be sleeved in RED. This shows that the wire is, or can be, live.

The red wires in the separate terminal block are the PERMANENT LIVE connections. They connect to each other and nothing else.

This is what you are looking at
loop in.gif

And exisiting black wires are neutral?
The three black wires in the existing block are the neutral connection.
And using a terminal box rather than several terminal blocks is safety?
Safety, yes. Also it is a wiring regulation.
There's two ways of approaching a job
1. Making do, so it works (like your existing!)
2. Properly

OK, reading above I'm quite confident of making do so it works but I'm going to get an electrician in to do it because -

1. It's a bathroom so the water/electric mix kind of freaks me out
2. I don't even know what to buy to contemplate
"The connections should be made in a suitable junction box ,and a length of flex run from the junction box to the light fitting/ it's terminal block"

Once again, thanks for the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back