Wiring A New Bathroom Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm changing out my bathroom fan as the previous one was fitted back to front by the previous owner, it had to be replaced as it was rattling and sticking.

The old fan was controlled by the light switch to the bathroom and had a halogen light, the new fan that i've bought has 2 connections a perm live and neutral and no light.

But i have a variety of cables after removing the old fan.

single sheathed red cable which has a brown and blue wire which went to the fan
Blue and Brown wire which also went to the fan

blue and brown which went to a halogen transformer box.

The new fan just has 2 connections perm live and N i presume i just need to connect the brown and blue from the single sheathed cable and forget the others ??

thanks.

Sponsored Links
You cannot presume anything. You need to trace the wires to find out what they do.

For once, I agree with Winnie.

Was the old fan a timer fan?
How many wires connected to it?
Is the new fan a timer fan?

If you go the route you suggest, you'll lose a light from the room. You may not have enough light to pluck your eyebrows, are you happy with that?

PS. I hope you took a photo of everything bvefore you disconnected it.

Sorted, it was a red sheathed cable which had brown and blue which is switched live and neutral works with the bathroom light, switch light on and the fan goes, turn light off and the fan goes off with the light.

Sponsored Links
Do you always want the fan to come on with the light, no matter why someone has gone in and turned the light on?

Do you never want the fan on when you don't need the light on?

Do you never want the fan to run on for a bit after the light's been turned off?

That's how the old fan was, so i'm fine with it coming on when the lights switched on, at a later date i may get an electrician to wire in a seperate switch for the fan, made hell of a difference to steam this fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back