Bathroom Refit - soil pipe and other plumbing questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, new member to the forum but have been on several times when browsing and researching etc...

I'm currently in the planning stage of doing a complete refit of my bathroom. I'm an engineer by trade so am pretty handy with most things but this is still all very new to me, I'm a complete newb though when it comes to plumbing but I am up for a challenge and I will only learn if actually have a go.

However this is my only bathroom in the house, no other toilets and baths/showers available so I need to plan ahead as much as I can and try to minimize any unexpected problems. Also, I have a wife and 2 young children so will need to try and keep toilet and bath downtime to a minimum!

The bathroom is very small, 2m x 1.7m, so not much room but this means that the replacement bath, basin and toilet cannot be re-positioned so shouldn't be too many problems regards to moving pipework etc.

I have just had a look at the existing pipework under the bath and behind the sink and toilet. Bath is pretty straight-forward but I now found out that the waste soil pipe behind the toilet goes straight up into the loft-space. This is a problem for me as the area behind the toilet and sink is boxed in to hide this pipework, which makes my bathroom feel even smaller so I wanted to remove this in order to fit bathroom furniture (slim-line if possible) for the new toilet and basin.

Quick bit of googling shows me that this is for venting purposes and to reduce smells/methane build up and also prevent a vacuum occurring when flushing toilet. But what would be the best way for me to vent outside using an AAV to correct building standards?

It is an internal wastepipe, which goes straight down through the house which is boxed in in the living room.

I have attached images to help explain the situation. Hope I have given enough info. Apologies if this is a question that has been covered many times, I have used the search function and had a look to see if it has already been covered in another topic, but it can be hard to find exactly what your looking for at times!
2017-05-14 13.31.40.jpg
2017-05-14 14.14.41.jpg

Sponsored Links
That looks better than perhaps half of all those that I have to go to see!

That looks better than perhaps half of all those that I have to go to see!

Helpful that Tony. But, for £340 or less, your fee to the op to run another one will be an absolute bargain.

OP,, I take it this is not on an outside wall, and is your only soil pipe. If so, then an aav is not going to be the answer.

Last edited:
I would look at moving the toilet in to the middle and the wash hand basin into the corner, reduce the vent pipe to three inch and move into the corner, that will give you room to move every thing back to the wall, geberit wall hung toilet and basin if you got the budget.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the prompt replies!

The real pin 5 - yes it is an external wall behind the sink and toilet, but it is my only soil pipe. Would an AAV still not be suitable?

Picasso - Not sure if they would be in my budget tbh. Also, would that not make it difficult with radiator position, there's no room to put the rad anywhere else.

I was planning on using Wickes fitted furniture or similar, I'm still looking around at furniture options though. I wanted to spend the extra money on buying a quality bath such as the ideal standard L shape shower bath.

I had seen some furniture in a local supplier similar to that which I did like as the basin and counter top surface was an all in one, however like I said I'm still undecided on what to choose yet. My main concern is the soil pipe at the moment and knowing what room I will have behind the furniture.

I should also add, I had a look in the loft as well today and the soil pipe goes straight up through the roof to vent outside, no AAV in the loft.

If it is an outside wall, run the vent pipe outside.

So basically make a hole in the wall big enough for a 110mm soil pipe to go though, and use a 90deg bend to take the pipe outside and another 90deg bend to point it back upwards - if that makes sense?

Do I have to use 110mm pipe or can I use a smaller diameter pipe as its only for venting?

Thanks for the help.

so just to confirm would this be ok?

apologies for the crude and basic paint image! I just want to make sure i get this right! Noted that the pipe going through the wall can also now be reduced to 75mm so thanks for confirming that.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 415
Excellent. Thanks very much for all the help everyone! Now I know I will need to get hold of a big core drill for sending the waste pipe through the wall.

Question/problem number 2:

I also have 2 pipes coming through the wall near the shower end of my bath - see attached image, it is the white pvc pipe and the 16mm copper pipe on the right.

These pipes come directly from my combi-boiler (worcester bosch) which is on the other side of the wall in the airing cupboard. The white pvc pipe joins to the bath waste as you can see in the image. The copper pipe goes along the length of the bath and straight outside through the external wall, so am I right in saying that these are both drain off for the boiler? Can these be moved at all? Under the floorboards maybe?

Thanks again

Attachments

• 2017-05-14 14.15.40.jpg
    2017-05-14 14.15.40.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 328
The white plastic pipe is the condensate drain from the boiler and needs to be connected to a waste pipe, the 15mm copper is the PRV discharge and needs to be terminated (visibly) outside.

Alterations to either pipe should be made by a competent person - the condensate is technically part of the flue system and the PRV discharge is safety related.

Both can be moved but the correct connections/routing and terminations are important

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back