Bathroom Refit

cim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

In our flat we are planning on ripping out the bathroom and starting from fresh. We want to have a walkin shower cubical and separate bath.

Currently have a electric shower which produces a rain drizzle type pressure and want to get a shower capable of remove hardened chewing gum from the street.

We have no water tank. Water comes straight into the building to our combi boiler.

Can we fit a pressure pump directly onto the water pipe heading to the shower?....... If not whats the best way of getting a good pressure increase. The new shower section we bought has many water outlets for massage effects and will need more pressure to make it work correctly.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
You should not fit any form of pump to increase the flow of water through your combi boiler.

You say you had an electric shower, did this just have a cold feed from the main and heat the water. If so the flow is limited to the rate at which the shower can heat water, you often find as the temp is turned up the flow reduces.

Your new shower column is likely to need between 2.0 & 4.0bar. and at least 15lts per minute flow rate. First thing to do is get the pressure of your main tested to see what you have available and also see what volume of water can be supplied by the combi.

Jason

I would think that with a shower panel (body jets etc.) the only DIY method to get the "holes drilled through your scalp" effect would be a stored water supply. That is, a cold tank in the loft and a hot cylinder. These can be pumped to high pressure (3 bar, equivalent to a 90 foot head I think) and flow rates (18 l/min is quite common, even my fairly low-end pump delivers that).

If this is not an option (I did notice that you said "flat" :D ) then you could get a plumber to install an unvented hot water system. From what I have read these store hot water and thus don't suffer from the same problems as combis and electric showers, i.e. reduced flowrate.

You can get hot/cold tanks specially for flats, but I think you would probably run it empty in 5 minutes flat.

Unvented stored hot water will only give out the pressure comming in ie that of the main, you will likely have to replace the boiler as well.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Unvented cylinder can give higher hot water output as the heat is stored, so the flow in the shower would be better. BUT, unvented cylinders must be fitted by a registered operator, they are EXPENSIVE, the service costs are significant, repairs can be unbelieveably expensive. Unless you are rich or stupid, think VERY carefully before installing one. Can you afford to live with it?

Wouldn't the pressure soon drop once the increase due to expansion had been drawn off. Also it would be better to have balanced hot and cold supplies to the shower.

Jason

Pressure in unvented cylunders is controlled by a pressure regulating valve, and the expansion is a minor effect. If the mains pressure is below say 3bar, then there might be a problem.

cim, perhaps you should prepare yourself for the possibility that you will be limited to a single shower-head: those panels require lots of high-pressure water. :cry:

Again, with the unvented systems, the flow rate is important, a 15mm water main into the house does you no favours. (well it didn't in my last house anyway)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back