Bathroom Refit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Our bathroom is a bit outdated and we have decided to install new units.

current setup:
basin and bath cold taps are mains fed
basin and bath hot taps are tank fed
The cold water tank is in the loft
the hot water tank is on the first floor adjacent to the bathroom.

we want to fit a shower bath and based on the articles here, in order to get a sufficient pressure coming out of the shower head, we need to install a shower pump.

Is it possible to mains fed the cold inlet of a shower pump?

What type of shower pump do we need and can anyone recommend a good shower pump that we can use? Something that is not so expensive but still sturdy.

Where is the best place to site the shower pump?

On a totally different subject, when we flush the toilet, there is almost always a loud vibrating sound that comes from the pipes. The toilet cistern is mains fed but the pipe goes to the loft first and then drops from the ceiling to the cistern. Is there a way to reduce the vibrations if not eliminate them?

Thanks for reading and hopefully you can advice me on the points noted above.

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to mains fed the cold inlet of a shower pump?
No
What type of shower pump do we need and can anyone recommend a good shower pump that we can use? Something that is not so expensive but still sturdy.
http://www.tapstore.com/acatalog/Turbo_2_Twin_Pump_2_0bar.html for sturdy.
http://www.tapstore.com/acatalog/Right_whole_house_twin_pump_2_25bar.html For price :)
Where is the best place to site the shower pump?
Next to the hot cylinder on the floor.

On a totally different subject, when we flush the toilet, there is almost always a loud vibrating sound that comes from the pipes. The toilet cistern is mains fed but the pipe goes to the loft first and then drops from the ceiling to the cistern. Is there a way to reduce the vibrations if not eliminate them?
When you change your WC this would go if you make sure that the inlet valve is High pressure.

P.s basin cold mains pressure healthier for brushing teeth and saves swallowing bits of old pigeon, squirrel, wasp poo, ants, and athletic hedgehogs.

A shower pump is most definitely NOT a requirement, it'll work without, a pump just improves things.

Why would you want to mains feed the cold side? You can just run the mains directly to the shower valve. You're not actually, generally speaking, allowed by the water regs to fit a pump to your mains.

Salamander make good shower pumps.

Site the pump next to your hot water cylinder, it'll be out of the way then.

The vibrating is from the washer in your float valve. Replace with a Fluidmaster valve and all will be well. Of course, if you're replacing the loo then that'll cure it too.

it'll work without, a pump just improves things.

Just did a test on some low pressure showers the other day from major brand @ 0.15bar getting 4-5 liters per min they recommended 0.1bar min pressure I could P*ss faster.

Sponsored Links
Sorry correction I have just tried did not want to use my flow cup so use the wifes kitchen measuring jug and clock I can only p*ss 1.4 ltrs per min.

hi.

thanks for the tip regarding the toilet. We will replace it as well so hopefully, it will disappear.

About the shower, if i don't use a pump, will a thermostatic mixer work? or do i need to use the normal one. The only reason i thought about a pump was because i read that for a shower to be effective, the shower rose should be at least 1m from the base of the water tank. I reckon that based on the current water tank location, i will be lucky to have 2ft between the tank base and shower head.

if there is no pump, can the cold come from the mains?

will this shower work?
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/69520...mostatic/Triton-Dew-Thermostatic-Mixer-Shower

or

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/53911...imalist-Single-Control-Shower-Fixed-Flexi-Kit

Thanks.

I didn't say you couldn't use a pump, I said you couldn't pump the mains. You can still pump the hot if you want to. A thermostatic mixer would be fine, better even, and some can work on unbalanced pressures with flow restrictors, however I suspect that with the shower head that close to the tank you might have problems. Pump the hot, or alternatively raise the cold water tank if possible and if it will solve the problem. You'll need a Surrey Flange on your cylinder if you pump it...

Operating water pressure 0.1bar-5bar. Flow rate at 0.1bar is 4Ltr/min at open outlet (unrestricted).
This comes off the spec for the first shower you have less than 0.1 bar pressure hot so this would be no good without a pump.

The second one you have looked at gives a better spec on the details

Operating water pressure 0.1-5bar. Flow rate at 0.1bar 8Ltr/min at open outlet (unrestricted).

But I think they have screwed up as that spec is for the valve without the kit after it. As you will not get that amount out of a diverter on a rigid riser they have used the spec for the valve which is a sirrus gummers valve, I do the same kit and its spec is 0.5bar
see link http://www.tapstore.com/acatalog/copy_of_Prism_Shower_with_Rigid_Riser___Diverter.html

Hi muggles.

So i will pump the hot and then the cold will be mains fed.

Can i wire the pump myself or would it be a complicated job?

Is this pump any good? http://www.tapstore.com/acatalog/QT45SE_Single_Shower_Pump_1_20bar.html or should i just stick with salamander pumps? The only reason i looked at the QT pump was because the description said it was silent.

also, on a related note
bathroom.gif

can i get the hot water going to the pump on 'X' and the for the bath taps, it will still come from the hot pipe that supplies the kitchen and basin?

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back