bathroom refit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am in the process of planning a refit to the main bathroom. Moving the bits of paper round the grid is easy but I think moving the toilet will involve a lot of work. The soil pipe currently runs between the joists to the central down pipe. How much of a job is it to have the soil pipe cross the joists? If I hear a sharp intake of breath I'll revise the planning accordingly.

Thanks

G

Sponsored Links
uncle_geoff said:
How much of a job is it to have the soil pipe cross the joists? If I hear a sharp intake of breath I'll revise the planning

You may hear more than a sharp intake of breath if you notch over 4 inches out of each joist. :LOL:

Run your soil pipe outside if poss to join your stack. :D

Bahco - I thought that would be the case, hence my question. Basically it means the loo cannot move except along the joist, and everything else will have to fit round it so to speak. And the bath is an odd size, as is the shower, and who needs a bidet anyway? I may well just nail up the bathroom door and pretend I dont have one.

As ever I appreciate the wisdom and the humour!
G

A bidet? It's just a handbasin for midgets, isn't it?

Seriously, can anyone explain to me a good reason for having one, that isn't negated by practicing proper personal hygiene? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Does the door open in or out? Sometimes a load of space can be made by changing it.

Bit of a ramble but this is the background to the refurb. (The bidet was already there and will be going as part of the refurb). Opening the door the other way means it opens to the passage which I think is potentially a hazard. The main reason behind this refurb is the shower cubicle where the mixer unit (Grohe) is built into the wall and is leaking. I tried to get spares but as ever that model is no longer supplied (25 years old). So the wall has to be opened, which means retiling and so on. Modern shower units seem to be min 80cm x 80cm whereas the current unit is 75 x 75. Replacing this means the loo has to move, which now appears too difficult. (All the services in the house run up a central column). There are other design possibilities but the non-standard size of the shower and bath makes life complicated when considering replacements.

uncle_geoff said:
I may well just nail up the bathroom door and pretend I dont have one.

:D that has almost made my day, good luck

760 square is still the standard at the cheap end - shouldn't be a problem finding one at all.

I found a bathroom planner on the web at http://www.bathroom-design-guide.com/bathroom-planner/ and the sizes shown there agree with what you said ChrisR - thanks. In fact by removing the bidet and shower and using a shower-bath I can get everything to fit, including the loo move and gain some storage (sadly lacking) at the same time.

Breezer - glad I could return some hilarity to the forum. In the past 2 years this house of mine has been a waterworld nightmare. I have replaced every single rad as the old ones all grew pinhole leaks, in some cases causing water damage to the ceilings below; the ensuite shower leaked where water had gotten behind the tiles; the main bathroom shower leaked at the waste, all but bringing the kitchen ceiling down. That was done under insurance earlier this year. Now the mixer is leaking and left a huge stain on the new kitchen ceiling. Tomorrow I have to find a plumber to come and shut the b****y thing off. If I sound desperate then this is why. This forum has been a life saver for me, the help/advice and humour is second to none!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back