Refitting Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to embark on a bathroom refit but I want to move the bath from one wall to the opposite wall, unfortunately the joists run parallel to those walls, with the soil stack also currently located in a corner of the wall where the bath is currently located.

If I move the bath to the opposite wall, is there any way that I can run the bath waste pipe through the existing joists to join up with the soil stack?
If not, are there any other solutions?

Many Thanks
Kevan

Sponsored Links
Probably not, unless you've got particularly deep joists you won't be able to incorporate the required fall into your pipework where you drill through the joists, it'll have to run surface behind some boxing

Hard to say without seeing it, but couldnt you run the 40mm waste out the wall of new bath position then run it back to the stack on exterior wall into a boss......

Sponsored Links
What is the required fall for the pipework?
Building Regulation minimum is 18mm per metre but at that slope it’s going to be marginal; you should aim for 25mm per metre which equates to 1:40.

There are also Building Regulations governing permissible drilling & notching joists;
http://www.eastdevon.gov.uk/bc-guidancenote7-notchingofjoists.pdf

extremely unlikely this will be sufficient for you to run a 40mm waste which also has a maximum unvented length of 3 metres. Another method would be to drop through the ceiling & run underneath, boxing in the run with plasterboard.

2.5º is the standard fall, which equates to 44mm per metre. It's in the building regs...

2.5º is the standard fall, which equates to 44mm per metre. It's in the building regs...
Can you advise where BR’s specify 2.5º as the minimum :confused: ?

Part H;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADH_2002.pdf
Table 2/3, page 9, specifies min 18mm – max 90mm for unventilated waste or w/c branch pipes.

Table 6 for underground foul drainage recommends a minimum of 1:40 which I always aim for; this equates to 25mm per metre or around 1.5º .

Can you advise where BR’s specify 2.5º as the minimum :confused: ?

Part H;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADH_2002.pdf
Table 2/3, page 9, specifies min 18mm – max 90mm for unventilated waste or w/c branch pipes.

Table 6 for underground foul drainage recommends a minimum of 1:40 which I always aim for; this equates to 25mm per metre or around 1.5º .
Thought I’d bump this as I notice your still posting advice regarding 2.5º as the standard fall, did you ever check/find where it states this in BR’s :?:

Not having a go but always genuinely interested if I’ve got it wrong. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back